Unsecure WiFi - Hospital - Is this actually safe?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Tempest, Oct 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    I'm aware this may seem a very noob question, but I don't connect generally to any WiFi other than at home or at work (both of which require a password to connect with)
    Visiting a friend in hospital today, I took my phone to show them a few photo's I knew they would like to see.
    They had to visit the "Bathroom" so whilst I was gone I thought I'd check up on emails, and noticed no wifi, so selected the WiFi icon and found a Hospital Public Wifi.

Sounded what I needed, but when I attempted to use it, my Nexus 6 kicked up a warning about this is a unsecured network and something like people may be attempting to access/hack your device.

I'm presuming this is just my phone going into tin foil hat mode and actually it would have been fine, but I didn't continue as I'd never seen this type of warning before.

So is this "The norm" and totally what you would expect when connecting to any public and open WiFi and my phone is just warning me, when really it's all fine ?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,615
    My completely made up analogy is imagine reading the newspaper at home versus on the morning rush hour train. In public do not be surprised if someone is looking over your shoulder laughing at the daily cartoon also.

Public WiFi can be convenient. Just use it for news rather than online banking, use websites with secure https connections and private browsing mode. Or go without the internet!!!

3. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Thanks for that.
    I'm sure no one is really hacking Hospital WiFi to spy on users, but as you say, I'd not wish to do anything regards banking etc.
    Just general Web Browsing, and check for emails really

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,857
    Just being on the same network is enough. How do you know that you were connected to the hospital Wi-Fi? Anyone could put up such a hotspot and name it. It’s the oldest trick in a hackers toolbox. Then a man in the middle attack is super easy.

And if I was so incline then yes I’d put a hotspot in such a public area. A brilliant way to get a lot of traffic.

I’d simply use your own data for these kind of basic checks.

5. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Thanks for that. Part of me feels it's a little Tin Foil Hat, but I know you are 100% correct in what you say COULD happen.
    There was a list of WiFi networks on offer, and in my mind they were named in a legit way, however, I take on-board your helpful advice, and I don't think I shall be using the WiFi.
    Thankfully I don't have a real need to either.
    I just wondered, as I don't use public WiFi in general, though I know many many do in Hospitals, Libraries, Trains, Bus's, Coffee shops etc etc. If I was just being overly paranoid :)

Thanks again for the advice.