1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsatisfied with new Zen Micro

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by nvzblmn, Aug 4, 2005.

1. nvzblmn

nvzblmn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,
    so with my new Zen Micro, I am really displeased with the battery life.
    Can anyone recommend or just list some other micro hard drive players (any 4-6gb players) that are known for above average battery life?

Thanks.

2. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New ipod mini is supposed to last up to ~20 hours.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,753
    What sort of battery life are you getting with the Zen Micro ?
    Remember, the more you have the backlight on and shuffle the tracks and move around the menus the quicker the battery will be used up. The battery will also be used quicker if you apply equaliser effects as well.

4. nvzblmn

nvzblmn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt realise the new minis got that much battery life; i'm impressed!

JohnG, so i've had my micro for only 3 days, but i'd say ive been getting around5 5 hours of actual playtime. I know about the factors like backlight and menu surfing and how they affect battery life, but there is a problem with the Zen Micros where when turned off, they go into a sleep mode for up to 4 hours so that when turned on again, they can play music again faster. But when they are in this sleeping mode, they are still using battery life...

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a few full battery cycles. Ie. Charge the battery fully and then let it run down completely til it shuts itself off. Then charge it ever nite after you use it, even if its not fully discharged, then once a month or something, do a full discharge again.
    If you have already done this, turn off the sleep mode if you can.
    And if all else fails, get a HD5.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a Zen Micro when they first came out. The original firmware didn't talk to the battery properly (or some such technical whatnot!?), making the thing empty like crazy. A FW update was supposed to have fixed this. Does this help you?

7. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my mini ipod lasted 4-5 hours and battery drained quickly when not used :(
    I got rid of it because of that (and the size of the hard drive). Got myself an HD5 instead :)

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The new Minis have a battery life in excess of 20 hours under user testing. The Zen Micro's a fairly good machine though... I'd discuss the battery issue with Creative Support first of all.

9. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have they upgraded the battery recently? The Mini IPODs in our house dont get near half of the figure you're suggesting.

10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Even my 1st gen Mini lasted for a lot longer than that, I have to say. (and that was a US version with the unrestricted amp) But yes, the 2nd gen Mini has a considerably longer battery life.

11. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I guess they had to do something about it pretty quickly, eye candy factor alone soons wears off when you have to carry a battery charger on every trip with you.

12. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My colleague at work has to charge her iPod Mini every single day at the office 'cos the battery drains so quickly. I don't call that particularly impressive or good value for money. :thumbsdow

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xstyle, just checked out those poor, poor Dabs reviews. Sure my colleague would agree with the title of one of these: Takes longer to charge than you can listen to music for.

15. nvzblmn

nvzblmn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... so I realize I did change my mind quite quickly (3 days)....
    but today I exchanged my Zen Micro for a...
    Apple iPod mini + HP 6GB. (+ HP just stands for distributed by Hewlett Packard)
    so its too early to give my opinion on the mini, just charging it right now
    but I gotta say I have high expectations now.

---

ALSO: to the reviews on the httpwww.dabs.com website, I am sure that they are all concerning the first generation iPod minis (aka not the 18+ hour new ones). Maybe.

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the interests of balance and fair-mindedness on this thread, I'd say the above quote is probably quite an accurate assessment of those Dabs reviews. My colleague, for example, bought her iPod Mini last summer - so before the newer, longer-battery-life models were released. On these, I wouldn't wish to comment.