1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unruly bass

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rjw, Jan 17, 2003.

1. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've recently added a CHT-15 to my modest setup courtesy of Uncle Eric, I'm now looking to improve the bass response further.

Having played around with the positioning of the sub, I'm left with a couple of sizable peaks in the frequency response (can't remember frequencies off-hand), and one major dip (110Hz). The peaks being up to 15Db above "average".

Moving the sub around in the limited positions I can place it makes only a minor difference (3Db max) so I'm fairly certain it's the room in general causing the problems and not a daft location.

Without going into full-scale redecoration and/or rebuilding, I'm looking at adding a Behringer Feedback Destroyer or similar to tame the peaks and hopefully boost the dip. By crossing-over the speakers at 120Hz instead of the current 90Hz, I can in theory maximise the use of the BFD over a wider frequency range.

Am I heading along the right lines or barking up completely the wrong tree here?

FWIW the sub is currently sat directly on the floor (no feet or spikes, onto carpet over wood floor above a cellar), near a room corner, facing down the length of the room into the side of a sofa. Rotating it 45 or 90 degrees only makes a minor difference and still leaves the two peaks and one dip.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

Have you tried various crossover settings or switching out the subs crossover so that the amp/receiver controls the cutoff?

Whilst peaks can be trimmed out with the Behringer, dips (nulls) are more problematic and from what I´ve read they can´t be boosted (or boosted by a small amount only) so you are stuck with repositioning the sub again.

Also try the Audio/Video switch. Audio gives a smoother response whilst the Video setting boosts output by around 3-4db and appears to be around the 50/60hz region.

Might also be worth firing the sub directly into the corner if you are limited on placement, to see what effect that has.

Most important thing though, is how does it sound? Its very easy to get caught up playing around with test tones when you should just be listening to the sound of the sub (I know, I´ve been there!:blush: ).;)

3. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The sub is currently set to bypass it's internal crossover and rely on the amp. I've tried with the amp set to crossover at 90Hz and 120Hz with no major difference. IIRC the sub is currently set to Audio, or at least it's meant to be.

The plan for the weekend is to try a few more positions out, and to try adjusting the phase to see if that evens things out a bit.