Unrefined listener help and suggestions

Delphonic

Novice Member
Hi
I’m looking to upgrade my hi fi set up for the first time in 20 years, like a lot of my peers in the uk I was brought up on bass heavy music of the 90s, (drum and bass, dancehall, garage etc), so at the moment I’m left with some big old Cerwin Vega E712s, Arcam 8 amp and power amp, and a Technics 1210 turntable.
I would like something a little more refined but that still retains some of that uncivilised bass shaking nature. I mainly listen to 70’s dub vinyl, but also a lot of jazz. Some modern inputs (Bluetooth?) would be useful. The room is 11m x 5m. Looking for amp and speakers, between £1000 and £2000 ( perhaps just speakers to start).
I’m a bit out of my depth here and going round in circles online, I live in the middle of nowhere now, so testing stuff is difficult. I like the idea of a vintage style speaker with a relatively large woofer, the Wharfedale Lintons certainly look like the kind of thing, perhaps paired with an amp with tone controls to crank up the bass when necessary. I don’t really want a subwoofer as aesthetics are very important to the other half and extra clutter is not her thing!
Any help greatly appreciated!!

hifinutt

in days gone by i would have said tannoys but they are no longer made in UK and prices getting higher

many of staff went to work for fyne audio and you may well find something good there .

[email protected] 600 series stuff is also superb if you can accomodate a floorstander and great vfm
Bowers & Wilkins 603 S2 Anniversary Edition Floorstanding Loudspeakers

Delphonic

Novice Member
in days gone by i would have said tannoys but they are no longer made in UK and prices getting higher

many of staff went to work for fyne audio and you may well find something good there .

[email protected] 600 series stuff is also superb if you can accomodate a floorstander and great vfm
Bowers & Wilkins 603 S2 Anniversary Edition Floorstanding Loudspeakers
Yes floorstanders would be good, thanks will have a look at the Fyne audio. Have looked at Klipsch, but their heritage range are little too expensive, also Monitor Audio seem to be good for bass?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
A few years ago I bought some PMC floorstanding transmission line speakers. I mainly listen to amplified, distorted guitar based music and I absolutely hated them. However, I remember playing an album by a band called Bedouin Soundclash that was mainly low and high end with little inbetween and they sounded absolutely fantastic. I remember thinking that if my music taste had been different then the speakers could have been real winners. 70's dub is not something I know a whole lot about but wonder if it might be the kind of thing that would bring the same great results from the PMC's.

I should add that you would most likely need to look at used PMC's given your budget. They really aren't cheap new these days!

Delphonic

Novice Member
Oh wow some nice looking speakers, the ones I like are £20,000, it’s funny how my budget started around £500 but creeps up the more I can’t do without!

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Oh wow some nice looking speakers, the ones I like are £20,000, it’s funny how my budget started around £500 but creeps up the more I can’t do without!

Oh yeah their prices can go very high. Mine were FB models that were later replaced by the 24's. There's a pair of those here in the classifieds. No idea if the look would be to your taste and you would be wise to ask a few questions in the PMC owners thread if you feel they may be an option but worth considering at least.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
That room is huge!

The only speakers in your budget that I can think of that will stand a chance with your music tastes are the mighty Dali Oberon 9.

Lots of useful information here.

And... you’ll need pretty much a powerhouse of an amp too. Because the room is big and you like volume. And volume requires current.

This is a very good amp indeed and will do a very good job. And it’s the least I’d consider for your room.

A quick word on it here.

As I said at the start of this post. Anything you buy must take into account the room size.

Happily, in this excellent hifi era, there is a pair of speakers tailor made for your requirements, and, equally happily, a first rate amplifier at half price to get the best from them. 👍

Delphonic

Novice Member
I’m
That room is huge!

The only speakers in your budget that I can think of that will stand a chance with your music tastes are the mighty Dali Oberon 9.

Lots of useful information here.

And... you’ll need pretty much a powerhouse of an amp too. Because the room is big and you like volume. And volume requires current.

This is a very good amp indeed and will do a very good job. And it’s the least I’d consider for your room.

A quick word on it here.

As I said at the start of this post. Anything you buy must take into account the room size.

Happily, in this excellent hifi era, there is a pair of speakers tailor made for your requirements, and, equally happily, a first rate amplifier at half price to get the best from them. 👍
Oh yes, that set up looks fantastic!
Yea it’s in a converted hospital (spooky) so the rooms were wards.
Much appreciated

lindsayt

Look out for deals on Bozak Symphony or Concert Grand speakers. As well as big classic high efficiency Altec, EV, JBL, Urei speakers.

You could also go the DIY route. Buy a pair of Fane 12" 250TC or 15" 300TC full range drivers and put them in a braced sealed 25mm chipboard or 18mm void free plywood cabinet.

Or buy yourself some used high efficiency drivers from JBL / Altec / EV and put them in your own DIY creation. You can mix and match drivers from different companies.

With new speakers sold through dealers, the component cost is generally one seventh to one tenth the price that you pay to get them.
With used and DIY you can get speakers where the component cost is the same as or possibly even greater than the price you have to pay to get them. This is reflected in the sound quality per pound spent.
On top of that you can buy speakers or drivers that have been proven via the test of time and ownership and not something that happens to be a new kid on the block that has been hyped beyond its' actual abilities.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom