1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unrecognized Mass Storage Device during MCE 2005 Installation

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by cpampine, Jun 1, 2005.

1. cpampine

cpampine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm attempting to install MCE 2005 onto a system that is running XP Pro. I have my physical drive arranged into two Partitions which I created using FDISK when I originally configured the machine. I would like to simply install MCE onto my C partition (where XP Pro is currently), although when I try to complete the new install, after rebooting and detecting hardware I get a blue screen "Stop" error (0x0000007B). If I try to install through the upgrade route, it tells me that I may have an unsupported mass storage device and will be prompted for the driver diskette during installation. Problem is, I have no idea what driver this could be! I've never had to provide it during any other installation on this machine. Somebody had suggested to remove the second partition, but I'd rather not since this is where I have my backup. Does anybody have experience installing MCE onto a partitioned drive? Am I overlooking something, or do I really have to remove the second partition in order to successfully proceed with the installation?

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    FDISK? Just use the XP CD to setup the partitions. I thought FDISK was for FAT\16\32 partitions only.

What motherboard is it?

3. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it sounds like you have your hard drive connected to a SATA controller, or an ide raid controller, or some other form of exotic hard driv einterface. This means that after the first reboot of installing xp you will not be able to access the drive anymore, UNLESS you supply xp with the disk containing the drivers for the device. (during the very first stage of setup there is a prompt on the bottom of the screen stating "Press F6 if you want to install additional......." This prompt applies to you)

If your drive is connected directly to the motherboard, then you need to go to the motherboard manufacturers website and find the correct drivers for the device.