Unreal Engine 5

Now done on PS4 using Dreams.

Just a bit of fun, not to be taken seriously. Although it is amazing what people create in Dreams.

Last edited:
So are we coming to realise the PS5 is the more powerful whilst not being the most powerful?
That's a vibe in getting from Epic but they were very cagey about it running the at the same fluidity on other machines.

That's a vibe in getting from Epic but they were very cagey about it running the at the same fluidity on other machines.

The engine will, of course, work just fine on all platforms.

Based on the comments from Tim Sweeney the tech demo built using the engine depended very much on the PS5 SSD to stream assets in on the fly. What we don't know is what the impact would be if using a lesser SSD or even a normal HDD

If UE5 is utilising the new PS5 SSD architecture from the get go, third party PS5 games will be using the new PS5 architecture by default for cross platform games, which will be amazing if rolled out well. First party software is generally seen as the best utilisers of platform specifics, but this is encouraging for the wider picture..

That will be a massive blow to Microsoft if the PS5 out performs it across the board given that it's less powerful.
That's taking a very simplistic view of it, as there are a lot of other elements in play... PS5 will be better at some things. XBSX will be better at others I presume.

Surely, nobody thought that UE's main features wouldn't work on Series X, being a multi platform engine?

The demo will obviously run on X, it'll run differently, as the SSD isn't the same, but the GFX card is better... Will it look better, or be able to do the 8k textures? Who knows, but some time it'll probably be tested.

I only play 60 fps games on ps4. If it's not 60 fps I play it on my pc
So you have a PS4, but won't play any big Sony exclusives on it (they usually run at 30fps..)? Why do you even own it?

Surely, nobody thought that UE's main features wouldn't work on Series X, being a multi platform engine?

Some were saying it wouldn't run on Series X as the speed delivered by the PS5 SSD was what made it possible. I think that's why Tim Sweeney put that tweet out.

Some were saying it wouldn't run on Series X as the speed delivered by the PS5 SSD was what made it possible. I think that's why Tim Sweeney put that tweet out.
Certainly, the SSD speed made certain aspects of that demo possible... Series X would just do it a different way.

The demo will obviously run on X, it'll run differently, as the SSD isn't the same, but the GFX card is better... Will it look better, or be able to do the 8k textures? Who knows, but some time it'll probably be tested.

People are confusing the engine and a demo built with the engine.

The demo was optimised for PS5 and used features on the PS5 that are unique to the platform. In optimising for SeriesX or PC they make different choices and compromises and we don't know what the outcome would be.

I play cod and battlefield games which run 60fps which has a bigger online player field.
I play games on ps4 that don't have controller support on pc (Neverwinter online, Neverwinter Nights, Baulders gate, pillars of eternity ect) and some sony exclusives do run 60fps like Last of us remastered, Kingdom Hearts collection, Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection,
I have the ps4 pro and I built a pc for living room gaming since I have a 80 inch tv with theatre surround sound. I use my ps4 controller on my pc using ds4 windows program and launchbox for the platform to run games and emulators. So on my pc I can also play Nes, Snes, playstaton1 and 2, genesis ect games.
Case : SilverStone GD09 INTRODUCTION
Launchbox: LaunchBox Frontend for Emulation, DOSBox, and Arcade Cabinets, Portable Games Launcher and Database
DS4 windows : DS4Windows by Jays2Kings

computer build:
1. ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
2. Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor
3. G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory
4. EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6286-KR, 8GB GDDR5X, RGB LED, 10CM FAN, 10 Power Phases, Double BIOS, DX12 OSD Support
5. CORSAIR AX Series AX760 760W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply
6. Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Solid State Drive (MZ-V6E500BW) m.2 NVMe
7. SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
8. 2 WD Black 6TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch
9. ICY DOCK Tray-Less 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Mobile Rack with 80mm Cooling Fan - TurboSwap MB171SP-B
10. SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Plastic Grandia GD09B ATX / SSI-CEB Media Center / HTPC Case
Nice setup... lots of stuff! I couldn't live with the non-cable management solution personally.

Certainly, the SSD speed made certain aspects of that demo possible... Series X would just do it a different way.
They've said the UE5 engine will work on all current platforms except the Switch iirc (ie PS4 base, and Xbox One), that demo would clearly be impossible on the PS4 - and the implication is that Xbox Series X could not run that specific demo.

"The Unreal Engine 5 will support the PS5 and Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, although it will only be available late in 2021. Until then, the consoles will use the Unreal Engine 4.25. The PS4, Xbox One, PC, iOS and Android will also get the Unreal Engine 5 treatment next year, according to the website’s timeline. "

Again my point hasn't been mentioned. If the Xbox is the superior machine and could perform better then if you're trying to show off your new graphics engine you would showcase it on the most powerful console every time.

Again my point hasn't been mentioned. If the Xbox is the superior machine and could perform better then if you're trying to show off your new graphics engine you would showcase it on the most powerful console every time.
Maybe, ignoring teraflop figures, they DID show it on the most powerful console...

Xbox is the most powerful on paper, however is it the fastest? I hate to keep beating the same drum but the SSD in the PS5 is what seems to be getting the industry excited. It would seem the SSD in the Series X is a standard drive with no extra special sauce.

Never mind speed and power before all that rubbish kicks off.

What if it was just an exclusive deal to show it off on PS5?

Never mind speed and power before all that rubbish kicks off.

What if it was just an exclusive deal to show it off on PS5?

A Clever Marketing Deal to show it on a Brand that has sold 110+ Million Consoles and hardly any news for those buyers and any news would be taken with excitement and media outlets would go crazy for it along with potential PS5 buyers and would finally see footage of something running on a PS5 and it's done exactly what Epic and Sony wanted it to and been heavily discussed for over a week now.....no that's just crazy. It couldn't be shown on any other platform or high end PC because it would stutter....silly silly chalky !!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom