Unreal and Splinter Cell probs.

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by -Spike-, Dec 15, 2002.

1. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Hi,

I've got an audio problem with Unreal Championship and Splinter Cell on my Xbox.
    Basically I get a popping/clicking sound whilst playing these games.
    All other games - Ghost Recon, Oddworld, DOA3, Halo, Blinx, Turok and MotoGP (online) are fine.

The Tv is a Sony with integrated Pro logic and the Xbox is a model from launch, both are connected directly via a Joytech RGB scart.

I'm hoping that it's the games but until I can contact a friend who has the machine to try them I'm a little unsure :(

Any ideas anyone?
    Please......:blush:

2. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    no help to you (sorry!) but just to confirm that both games have no audio problems on my system using the advanced scart cable for 5.1.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spikey,

My xbox (bought at launch) is hooked up to my 5.1 amp using the official advanced scart. I have Unreal and don't have any problems.

Have you tried using the composite cable straight to the tv to see if your telly pops ?

Jus.

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for the responses.

I haven't tried the composite lead supplied. I think that it's certainly worth a go.
    What's strange is that after all the games I've got or owned this problem only occurs on these two, I wonder if they are from the same developer?

Down to a process of elimination I guess :(

Regards

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always send me Splinter Cell in the post and I'll give it a go for you :D

Jus.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a thought. I put my Gladiator disc in my dvd player yesterday and got a load of pops and chicks and the screen broke up. I put it down to either a dirty disc, I hope, or a scratched disc. Your problem might be a smaller version of that, so you could try cleaning them with a cd cleaner.

Jus.

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Hi JUS,

Thanks for the reply.

I've since tried cleaning the discs and that didn't do the trick :(

Last night switched leads back to the composite and it was still there.
    Finally contacted my mate who's just got an Xbox, tried it on his and it was fine.....
    Looks like the machine then :( :(
    Bit of a bummer having to send the machine back especially seeing as I've just signed up to Live. Had an idea though, I think it's off down to the Hardware section....

8. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might not be a problem with your xbox. I had similar problems where I used to live and it was down to poor electricity supply causing interference.

9. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Hi Kell,

The electricity supply is certainly something I haven't considered.
    However I think it's unlikely as I've had no other problems with the dozen or so other games I have and no problems at all with GC, PS2 and DC which all use the same feed.
    I'm beginning to think it's some sort of compatability issue with newer games....maybe?

Update
    I've just spoken to Xbox support and they seem to think that it is the machine as well. Will be without the machine for 3-4 weeks though :(
    Please see my other thread in Gaming Hardware now

Thanks for all the replies
    Best wishes

10. Bob_the_enginee

Bob_the_enginee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem with my Sony TV also - just turn off Auto Surround and the problem goes away - again I had it only with these games ... no others.

Fixed it on mine - you will find if you pull the phono leads out the noise will actually still be there - therefore it is on the video channel

HTH

11. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Bob,

I eventually traced this problem to exactly what you said but it took me a while....

In fact it took me two replacement games and another replacement Xbox until I finally realised that it was the Tv causing the problem.
    All I can think of is that maybe these two games have some sort of audio flag built in as the noise was a constant clicking at exactly the same time on each game...maybe...:confused:

Anyway turning off Auto Surround did indeed cure it.
    It's just a shame you didn't post this a couple of weeks ago as I now have a spare Xbox to hand :blush:

At least you confirmed what I thought though, thanks very much for your reply, really appreciate it.

Happy New Year