1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unplugging reciever from mains!!Is it ok to do so

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by malcom, Jun 6, 2003.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. I have just purchased a Samsung 9500vaci digital reciever and was surprised to find it had a 2 pin plug. I have connected it to a 2 pin/to 3 pin shaver adapter.

But the pins on the reciever are much thinner than I have come across befor and needles to say the connection is prone to movement unless the plug is totaly upright..

I am worried about leaving it plugged in overnight or when I am out in case it is a poor connection.

If the reciever is unplugged from the mains would I loose all the channel data that I have downloaded.?

Can anyone recommend a different plug adaptor that will be secure. Regards. malcom.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I don't know if this is what you are looking for, go to the Maplin site and do a search for Euro Convertor.

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. Thanks for the link. I have done a search but nothing comes up under Euro convertor I'm afaraid. I searched through the connectors section. If it was there I couldn't recognise the technical hype to be sure what I was ordering.

Does anyone know if all downloaded channel data will be lost when unplugged from the mains!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Here is a link to a picture.

Not sure why you can't find the product, certainly works for me when I type in Euro Converter into the search bar at the top of the page.
    Ah :blush:
    Converter with an E not a O.

As for retaining tuning data I would assume there is an internal battery backup in case of power failure, common facilty in all consumer electronics.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Starburst. I have found it now..

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I was about to correct your spelling ;)

Unfortunately, most search engines aren't intelligent enough to try common misspellings. If they can't find precisely what you type, they tell you (quite truthfully) that it isn't there.

I thought, as the use of the Internet increased, that we'd see a general improvement in spelling and grammar but the reverse is true. This isn't meant to be a personal insult, by the way - just a general observation! We all make typos.

Orl R8 M8

7. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malcom,

You can get these adaptors in most WH Smiths and some larger Boots stores now. Normallywith all the travel adaptor, suitcase locks, inflatable pillows and those useless "Money Belt" things.

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks billduff I will take a look see. I am actually using a travel adaptor now but the pin diameter is greater than the European pin supplied with the reciever. Let's hope boots and co have now got the real europe type converters.