1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmodded Xbox - will this be ok??

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by the_jinj, Aug 22, 2005.

1. the_jinj

the_jinj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I recently aquired a modded Xbox which I've taken the chip out of. Unfortunately the hard drive has been changed to a 20gb one. If the MS Dash is ok and no mod chip installed will it be ok for using on Live??
    What changes do I need to make to it if not (downgrade hard drive?)

Cheers
    Neil

2. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    As far as I know, Live! scans the hard drive so if it sees a 20gig one, it'll suss something is up. I suspect you need the original hard drive in there (or at least one with the same signiature).

May be easier to get a cheap second hand xbox from here.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    It all depends Neil. When the box is used on Live, it's eeprom and HD are scanned for their serial numbers. This marriage of serial numbers is then held on the Live servers. If either the HD or the eeprom are then changed then the marriage is broken and the box gets banned. You can chip and upgrade the X-box before it is ever used on Live and then you will be OK (providing that the chip is deactivated each time that the box is hooked up to live).

Basically if your box has not yet been used on Live then it will be fine to register it with the current drive (or any other compatable drive) in it. You need to ensure that your HD is locked though and you may need your chip back in to do this. Xbox-scene will tell you everything you need to know. :thumbsup:

I have a 120gb HD and an Xecuter 2.6 chip installed and have used Live fine for around a year. :smashin:

4. the_jinj

the_jinj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks for the info....
    Do you have a switch on your mod chip to prevent it being detected?

Neil

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Yes, you can turn off the chip I have using a case mounted switch.

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

If the Xbox is booting fine without the modchip then the drive is certainly locked - the box is designed to not boot without a locked drive as a security measure.

Does anyone know how long the Xbox/HDD details are likely to be held by MS. I recently got my old Xbox chipped but bought a brand new one with which to go on live anyway. I used to use the older one for live so MS have certainly logged my old pairing. I'm wondering if there is an expiry date on how long they keep that data.

Also, there could well be legal ramifications of them holding data about you, on a computer. I wonder has anyone tried getting them to disclose exactly what info they are holding under the Data Protection Act?

Gav

7. the_jinj

the_jinj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just to clarify...will this be ok....

Xbox with Matrix chip - EvoX M8 bios - 20gb hard drive locked built from Slayer disk - Chip can be disabled

If I go on live will it be ok? Does it just take the combination of drive/eeprom at the time and look for future changes? How does it detect the chip?

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    If the box has never been used on Live before then that should be fine. If the chip is disabled then Live can't pick it up as that's the whole point of disabling it.

I always ensure that the RJ-45 cable is removed from the box when the chip is on to be on the safe side. :smashin:

9. the_jinj

the_jinj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Cheers!! I guess you only get one chance so just wanted to be sure :)

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Indeed - the only way to know for sure is to try it I guess. The marriage theory has worked fine for me and i've been gaming on Live for nearly a year with a fully modded box. :smashin:

11. the_jinj

the_jinj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    So even though the drive was built from a Slayer disk and no original dash stuff is there, it should be ok. I have read a few times that xboxdash.xbe was possibly unique to the box - I don't think this is the case.....
    Just don't fancy buying a new box to use my remaining 11 months and 30 days of Live subscription ;)

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Won't you be getting a 360 in November? All I did when I swapped my HD was to use slayer's 2.6 disc to set up the new drive. I think I just followed the tutorial on XBox-Scene. I have used it on live no problems since I subscribed last November time. I have been very careful to unplug the cable when using the box with the chip on and I have always ensured the chip is off when on live. At the time I subscribed people were getting banned left right and centre as it was when Halo 2 came out (infact my starter pack was a Halo 2 one). I read about the marriage theory and decided to risk it. I have had no problems since. I guess whether you risk it is down to you, all I can say is that I have been fine. :smashin:

13. the_jinj

the_jinj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm going to wait for the 360...nothing pisses me off more than spending £400 on a console only to see it 50% off 1 month later :zonked:
    Think I'll risk it...if it doesn't work I have no one to blame but....yourself ;)