Unmarked Variable Speed Limits

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
... are they legally enforceable? Got a thing through the post last week for speeding - 61 on the motorway, in a 50 variable speed zone.

I've drive that route every working day for the last 6 years, not once seen it posted as being variable speed.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
PS: When I say unmarked, I mean it doesn't actually say 'Variable Speed', like some places do.

Apparently, it's done using the gantries. Didn't know these were legally up-holdable: M20 speed limits come into force

Thought they we 'advisories', rather than 'you must not go faster than...'

mikeburns

I think if it's got a red circle around the speed then it's enforceable.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Yes seems enforceable if they have the red ring around them.
They are the newer multi coloured ones which they have been putting over the M62 between Manchester and Leeds.

Gavin_Hall

Which motorway were you caught on?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Tried explaining this to the wife the other day on the M60/M62, the satnav had an old data file in it saying specs camera 50mph limit, I was doing 70mph and she panicked I was going to get a ticket, till I explained that the overhead signs dictated the limit, still don't think she was convinced lol....

Delvey

Distinguished Member
That would of been likely as they had been doing roadworks for a long time installing the signs.

Markee

I believe there was a change in the law a few years ago that made motorway matrix speed limit signs legally enforceable.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I don't get it - why try to wriggle out of it?
If there is a speed on those signs then assume there is a reason.

wongataa

PS: When I say unmarked, I mean it doesn't actually say 'Variable Speed', like some places do.

Apparently, it's done using the gantries. Didn't know these were legally up-holdable: M20 speed limits come into force

Thought they we 'advisories', rather than 'you must not go faster than...'
I'm afraid you were caught bang to rights. Any speed in a red circle is an enforceable limit and always has been whether on gantries with matrix signs or on roadside signs. There was a loophole a little while ago on the M42 due to the font used but that has been closed.

I'm surprised you did not know this. These variable speed sections of motorways have been around for a while and are expanding.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Which motorway were you caught on?
M20.

I'm surprised you did not know this.
If you read the article I linked to, it states they had only just come into force (the article was dated 11 August 2010).

I didn't get anything in the post saying this, nor was there anything in the local news, or signs on the motorway. So how exactly would I know this?

Any speed in a red circle is an enforceable limit and always has been
From the article: "Variable speed signs are displayed on motorway gantries across the country but the M20 will be only the third place in the country where limits can be enforced by law."

Frostytouch

... are they legally enforceable? Got a thing through the post last week for speeding - 61 on the motorway, in a 50 variable speed zone.

I've drive that route every working day for the last 6 years, not once seen it posted as being variable speed.
I only use the M20 once a year for a trip to France, surely you don't mean the obvious camera gantries near Maidstone?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Anything in my face that says less than the national speed limit is going to get my attention and observance, like the ones on the M62, I will use that road once in a blue moon, only a fool would ignore the signs given the number of cameras by the side of the road....

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I'm afraid you were caught bang to rights. Any speed in a red circle is an enforceable limit and always has been whether on gantries with matrix signs or on roadside signs. There was a loophole a little while ago on the M42 due to the font used but that has been closed.

I'm surprised you did not know this. These variable speed sections of motorways have been around for a while and are expanding.
This. Matrix signs are obviously just an advisory speed. But any speed in a red circle be it a sign or in some other digital format is a limit

wongataa

M20.
I didn't get anything in the post saying this, nor was there anything in the local news, or signs on the motorway. So how exactly would I know this?
The Highway Code tells us that all speed limits in red circles are enforceable. That is how should have known. The cameras are easily visible on the gantries as well.

IronGiant

I believe the relevant phrase is: "Ignorance is no defence"

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom