Unlucky for some

smartie1947

Established Member
Reaction score
Sky installer called today to upgrade Sky digital to Sky+ in a flat in our block.
Situation is block of 20 flats with a flat roof.
Access to the roof is by an internal ladder, approx 10 feet to a skylight which leads directly onto the roof. Roof is approx 150 foot square, with existing dishes congregated in the centre, fastened to brick partitions.
Installer would not entertain the job, citing Sky's Health & Safety policy, stating that only their special heights team were covered for such an installation.
Already on the roof are another 12 dishes/cabling etc, which have been installed by individual Sky installers, since the advent of Sky Digital in 1998, without ever the need for any special heights team. This cut no ice with today's installer,nor his superviser with whom I spoke on the telephone.
Net result, installation postponed for a further week until special heights team are next available.
Moral:- Take nothing for granted in arranging an installation with Sky, especially where their own staff are involved. Remember any installation cancelled by the installer on any given day allows him more time to complete the remainder. When ordering a new installation/upgrade etc insist on speaking to a superviser from the installation team BEFORE authorising the work. Give him every pertinent detail of the job before an appointment is agreed. Never assume past precedence is anything to go by when dealing with Sky. ALWAYS expect to be let down with the need to take more time off work than you anticipated.

Besides the health and safety issues, that number of dishes may breach planning regulations which I believe should be for a maximum of two dishes per building with a communal sharing setup of those dishes.

Are the flats leased/freehold/rented or council? You may all get an unpleasant shock sometime in the future when someone in your local council planning dept notices or is informed.

davemurgatroyd2 said:
Besides the health and safety issues, that number of dishes may breach planning regulations which I believe should be for a maximum of two dishes per building with a communal sharing setup of those dishes.

Are the flats leased/freehold/rented or council? You may all get an unpleasant shock sometime in the future when someone in your local council planning dept notices or is informed.

Flats are freehold, dishes can only be seen from the air. Local planning are fairly laissez-faire re satellite dishes, but I believe are now insisting on communal dishes on all new blocks.

Unfortunately should you be spotted by the Local Planning Authrity, Freehold flats mean that any management company has no teeth and so if you try to install communal stuff, no one is abliged to take part. That's why people are always advised against Freehold flats - Leashold gets you more protection from your neigbours.

smartie1947 said:
Installer would not entertain the job, citing Sky's Health & Safety policy, stating that only their special heights team were covered for such an installation.
Already on the roof are another 12 dishes/cabling etc, which have been installed by individual Sky installers, since the advent of Sky Digital in 1998, without ever the need for any special heights team. This cut no ice with today's installer,nor his superviser with whom I spoke on the telephone.
Net result, installation postponed for a further week until special heights team are next available.

The other dishes that are already there were probably installed pre helth and safety days. About 4 years ago Sky were pulled up on their health and safety procedures after a number of accidents (I myself knew 3 collegues who suffered severe injuries). Sky put their hands in the air admitting they had no H&S procedures -- OH DEAR!

Overnight we could no longer do half the crazy things that Sky or indeed the customer expected of us! (I cringe at some of the Spiderman stunts that I have done in the past ever threatened with the 'get the install done or join the dole queue' attitude by contract providers and the such. After all ask yourself 'how much would you charge to go onto a roof or 30foot up a ladder'? £100, £150 surely?! So it may come as a shock to all of you that were only to get £22 per job (would you risk your life for that???).

So therfore I personally welcome the new H&S rules for my sake & my kids. I still feel sorry for those Special Height guys as they only get about £33 for the install (yep they must be bonkers!)

Cheers, Franc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom