1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlocking x box drives

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AMCross, Jan 9, 2005.

1. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Any ideas guys on the right way to unlock these brand new drives.

i have 5 wd and 3 Seagate never used 8gb or 10gb hard drives

I remember using a similar tool to unlock a quantum drive from a tivo

:lease:

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    to unlock a stock xbox hard drive you need the xbox that it came from. If that xbox is dead then you need to unsolder the EEPROM chip off the motherboard. This is quite a small chip and is a very tricky job!!!! That is the only way of unlocking the drive unless you have all the unlock codes stored already, if so then just shove the drives in your pc and use a drive unlock program, put in the code and the drive can be reformatted as you wish.

3. Bobby_Boucher

Bobby_Boucher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might be wrong, but i have to lock my new 120g so i can go on live etc, but i can also unlock it, why dont you get slayers auto install disk and unlock them?

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    because the unlocking is done on the xbox that it was locked with. The hard drive gets locked with a long code (27 digits i seem to remember...). this code is specific to the xboxes eeprom. When you locked your drive it used your xboxes eeprom, thus to unlock it, it can use that same code. Once the drives have come out of the xbox, the eeprom is no longer the same so it doesnt have the right code to unlock the drive. thus the drive cannot be reformatted or put in a pc.