Unlocking an iPhone6s

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting this in GC but as I know I'll get a fast response here goes.

I'm looking to buy an iPhone 6s from our classifieds but it is assumed to be locked to Vodafone. I want to use a GiffGaff sim so want to unlock it. I'm aware one of our members has just had a nightmare trying to get a code from Vodafone (@Wahreo ?) so is it a PITA to network unlock or is it straight forward as I want to do this before Christmas so it can be used on the day.

Cheers

Whoever has it now should be able to call and get it unlocked (may cost something though as it's a newish phone). Or go to the local market and someone will unlock it for a tenner maybe.

We've unlocked quite a few Vodafone-only phones at work.
You ask them, they then correspond with Apple.
It can take weeks, honestly.:(
You can't just take iphones along to a shop to unlock them either.

We've unlocked quite a few Vodafone-only phones at work.
You ask them, they then correspond with Apple.
It can take weeks, honestly.:(
You can't just take iphones along to a shop to unlock them either.
Thanks. Would I be better off putting in a PAYG Vodafone sim and porting the number and then unlocking and porting number back?

Or go to the local market and someone will unlock it for a tenner maybe.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm sure phone shops can only jailbreak iphones, so you can use apps from sources other than the apple app store.
They can't unlock iphones, that can only be done via the provider who then contacts apple.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm sure phone shops can only jailbreak iphones, so you can use apps from sources other than the apple app store.
They can't unlock iphones, that can only be done via the provider who then contacts apple.

Not sure, I am sure they say unlocked, whatever that means.

Misnomer, I think.
They mean jailbreaking, not unlocking.
AFAIK an iphone can't be unlocked by someone with a laptop.

Never needed to, just buy it unlocked from Apple, simple. Only ever seen the signs saying unlock here etc, thought you could jailbreak your phone at home.

Anyway I personally wouldn't be going to the market.

A market unlock also doesn't guarantee itself against future Apple updates, so you could end up paying for a nice unlocked phone on iOS 9.2 but becomes redundant on 9.3.

I'd go through Vodafone just to play safe - either through the seller now or as you suggested, buying a Vodafone sim and doing a number port. When I unlocked my iPhone 5S prior to sale it took a couple of days, but it can take anything up to 10 days according to the form.

but it can take anything up to 10 days according to the form.

We've had longer than that.
I well remember one employee buying a used (locked) iphone off us to give to his daughter for her birthday.
He ended up not giving it to her on time because the bloody unlock didn't happen in time.

Those vendors get iPhones unlocked by having a contact inside a mobile network who contacts Apple for them. It's riskier than contacting the network in the first place.

O2 unlocked an iPhone for me in around 24 hours a few years back.

Not sure if this helps the OP, but this clearly varies network-to-network.
I've just upgraded my 5S to a 6S on EE and paid £8.95 to unlock the 5S so my GF can use it on O2 - took 2 days.
Similarly, she unlocked her 5C so her son could have that and use it on EE. O2 took 24 hours and was free. In both cases they said it could take up to 10 days.
Not sure if a 6S would have cost more as it's a newer model.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Vodafone charge £20. Might be free if after contract.

Can't figure out why you'd do this when it's a procedure easily done by the provider?
It's not as if 12 days is any faster than Vodafone could have done it.
And I'm sure Vodafone wouldn't charge £23.49, would they?

Very true, only thing I can think of if it is stolen and not bricked.

MLIR

Can't figure out why you'd do this when it's a procedure easily done by the provider?
It's not as if 12 days is any faster than Vodafone could have done it.
And I'm sure Vodafone wouldn't charge £23.49, would they?
In my case the handset was on a VMN and such the VMN didn't wan to know or help, just said contact VF, VF wanted bill payers address etc well wasn't sure how that worked so used this method, business phone so needs must.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom