unlocking a mobile phone

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this might not be the right place for this - so apologies.

my gf took out a contract on her iphone 5s a couple of years ago and recently upgraded to the new iphone 6s plus - so far so good.

she now wants to unlock her old 5s and give it to her sister - but EE have said they can't/won't unlock it because it is not the phone they gave her. about 8 months ago she took her phone to apple who replaced it under warranty (faulty button and speaker).

i thought all apple phones were sold unlocked - but she has tried a different sim card in it and it won't work - the phone is locked to EE.

EE don't want to know as it isn't the phone they provided her, and Apple have said they don't unlock phones.

So what now? Any other options?

That's EE being petty as the phone was locked replaced under warranty and the replacement locked to EE.
Anyway read what EE say on their site - Article .Print it off and take it into an EE store and get it done.

Apple do hold the unlock codes. I've just had my iphone4 unlocked by Vodafone, who said that if they didn't have the code, they'd contact Apple for the code.

i didn't think apple phones were locked though - which is strange.

i didn't think apple phones were locked though - which is strange.
Did Apple give her a brand new one? You said the 5S was a few years old, so maybe it was a EE locked refurb?
The faulty 5S that was handed in 8 months ago will probably be refurbished by Apple, & given to a future EE customer who needs a replacement.

A visit to your local Asian market stool would be the easy thing to do they charge about a tenner.

A visit to your local Asian market stool would be the easy thing to do they charge about a tenner.

this might be the best way to unlock the bloody thing.

apple keep saying they can't do anything.
EE say they won't touch it as it isn't the phone they gave her.

i think my gf filled in a form online and sent that away and she had a reply today saying it couldn't be done.

i will take the phone in over the weekend to the store and see what they say. bloody chancers.

i think my gf filled in a form online and sent that away and she had a reply today saying it couldn't be done.

i will take the phone in over the weekend to the store and see what they say. bloody chancers.
Maybe so, but she's still your girlfriend ;)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Even more surprising
1,048 sold :eek:o_O:eek:o_O

ie £103,753 just for unlocking phones :facepalm:
Nope, click on the 'items sold' link and they have sold them at circa 16 to 20 GBP.
People often bump up live ads on ebay when they are on holiday to stop people buying them.

Nope, click on the 'items sold' link and they have sold them at circa 16 to 20 GBP.
People often bump up live ads on ebay when they are on holiday to stop people buying them.
Lucky you told me that before I handed in my notice at work :laugh::D

Good point buddy, my Vodafone was £24, took about 12 days but they tell you that before you start.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom