• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Unlocked iPhone internet functionality

chubsta

Established Member
I recently bought a 8gb 3g iphone 2nd hand. Although it was on 2.2.1 it had the installer 5.8 and so i was able to downgrade it to 2.2 and unlock it so it worked with my old (non 3g) '3' contract sim.

I didnt want to be on o2 as their reception is rubbish so i went to a few local phone shops - cpw, vodafone,fones4u, 3 etc and they all said that although i would be able to use the call/text functions i would not be able to access any internet - browsing, appstore, youtube etc - on any network except for o2 as the other networks do not support the iPhone for these functions.

So in the end i got a 'simplicity' sim from o2 which is ok but reception at my house is a little rubbish!

Were they right? it seems odd to me, i would have thought i could have bought a '3' or vodafone sim with internet bolt on and everything would have been ok but tey all said the same...

any advice or confirmation?

RobM

Distinguished Member
No, they were not right. Many users on AVForums have iPhones working on other networks (I had my 2G iPhone working on Vodafone) and are able to use the internet and other data services without any trouble at all.

You do need to manually define the connection settings, but the details you need are all over the internet so it's no big deal. Just Google 'iPhone data settings for *network*' or 'iPhone *network* APN'

3 are an odd network though, so there might be something unique to them that prevents the iPhone from playing nicely. I'm sure a 3 network user will advise :)

neily1970

Established Member
No bother here mate, im using mine on Orange and have no issues browsing and push for email is faultless, as is youtube, maps etc.

achoudry

Prominent Member
and another one...i'm on t-mobile. no problems at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom