Unlock?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by reallyconfused, Nov 21, 2002.

1. reallyconfused

reallyconfused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me?

Trying to connect a Sony STRDB1070 to a Sony DVPNS905 using digital coaxial, but the receiver keeps flashing [UNLOCK], and won't play the sound properly?! :confused:

2. paulpaterson

paulpaterson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't tell you exactly what it is, but i had the same problem with my budget Shinco 8320 DVD player and Sony STR DB 930 AV Amp. "unlock" means that the receiver isn't receiving a Digital signal from your DVD player. It may be because there's a loose connection somewhere, so check that first. If not, then try using a better cable, one specifically designed to be used as a digital interconnect (see if your local dealer will lend you one to try). If It's still not working, try cleaning the DVD players lense with a cleaning kit (from Dixons, Comet etc.). If this still doesn't work then i suspect that there's a fault with the DVD player's laser transport mechanism, or somewhere along the digital signal path within the DVD player. Try it with another DVD player (from a mate or something). If that works phone the manufacturer and, if it's still under warranty, you should get a replacement.
    Hope this is of some help.
    PP

3. sconepanman

sconepanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if he is getting video signal (are you?), then its got to be with the sound processing. Test the DVD with another amp (using a different cable). Can you connect by optical? Try to establish whether its the amp, the interconnect or the player. I hope it is just the interconnect. Good luck.

4. reallyconfused

reallyconfused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Both :)

The cable I'm using is an Ixos 105 (digital), but I have tried using an analogue cable in it's place just in case - the same thing happens though...

Luckily I only just got the DVD player; I called the supplier who are sending me a replacement. While I'm here, supplier in this case is HiFiBitz.co.uk - service is excellent :)

So, when it arrives tomorrow this will hopefully resolve the problem - if not, I guess it is the receiver...

BTW - no problems with the video signal....

5. john039

john039

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    My Sony amp says "Unlock" if I set it for DVD but haven't turned the DVD on. DVD on first....no message.

Like Paul says, you are not getting a feed from the DVD player,
    your other option apart from trying different cables is to make sure you set the DVD for the correct output in it's menu.

6. reallyconfused

reallyconfused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I've spent many hours switching between the various output options, but the problem is either replicated, or there is no sound at all.

:confused:

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    As far as I am aware the unlock option is created when you use the audio split option.

On the amps facia, bottom right-ish (?) is a button labbeled

'audio split.'

When you press this you can 'split' the incoming signals. For instance, Video 1 can share an optical input with say DVD if you have an xobx routed through the amp.

So, select DVD. If you are not splitting or indeed sharing this option press this button, which i suspect will be glowing at first. and then using the circular button below the volume knob, rotate and select 'unassigned'. the light should then go out once you have turned the amp off and on again.

I suspect that this may rid you of the unlock problem.

Good luck.

Captain Benefit.

8. krisko

krisko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so you can reassign the CD coaxil to DVD through the menu but this doesn't help much as the Amp only recognises this input as analogue which basically means it will not decode Dolby digital or DTS. I bought a 630 two days ago and found this out the hardway! I will be returning it today.

Of coarse if I am wrong please let me know as I really liked the sound of this Amp.

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    It sounds like you have this wrong. Surely if you are listening movies via DVD coaxial, you should just have the amp set to DVD only. If you are routing two channel audio leads from your DVd into the amp why not put them into the CD input at the rear and then select CD when you play music...two channel will give you better sound for music anyhow, unless SACD.

It seems you are doing something wrong as you cannot aceess 5.1 or DTS.

10. reallyconfused

reallyconfused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update on my problem - the replacement DVD player arrived, but the same thing happens :mad:

Finally got a chance to get an optical lead and test the connection this way, which works perfectly :)

Therefore suggests that the problem is the Receiver, not the DVD player. So at least there is nothing too seriously wrong eg. decoder; my guess is there is a loose connection on the coaxial input....

Thanks all for your help :)

11. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I still think that this is the problem. I had exactly the same thing happening. I would suggest that the reason why you are not getting unlock when using optical is that you have not split the incoming signal. You may have done it on coax accidently a while back.

12. krisko

krisko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I worked it out, I had my DVD output setup on 'Analogue' I changed this to bitstream and I now have DTS and 5.1:blush:

Geez I feel stupid!

13. john039

john039

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Very brave of you to admit it...:)