unlikely to see new macmini ?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by mcdermott_c, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

i've been holding off buying a mac mini as many exepcted an update to be announced at the conference. Is an update now unlikely ? i dont really want to buy a new mini only for it to be upgraded next week. If an upgrade isnt due for another few months I will just go ahead and buy a current one

anyone have any more thoughts

cheers

chris

2. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As it as a developers conference, there was little chance of them announcing new mini hardware. Especially as it's 'bottom of the range'

I guess the next big event (September?) might see some news.

3. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi jowl

yes some folk had said the same but many (on other sites addmitdly) had expected a quiet upgrade to give people a machine which could be used to develop iphone apps - just wondered if there was any truth in this

cheers

4. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I admit, it wouldn't have surprised me to see a quiet upgrade to the mini and/or some Mini/AppleTV hybrid.

The WWDC is on all week - but I would be suprised if they announced anything more now - particularly regarding the Mini.

Maybe they're waiting for the new CPU's?

5. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got all excited when the apple store was down and my head dropped when only the iphone had been added.

Like you say the conference is on all week so they may sneak an update out during this time.

I will keep checking for an update and maybe hold off for a week or two. I am desperate to get my mac but dont need it for any specific task so can probably hold off for a few weeks

I was readding about the Asus EEE laptops and new EEE box (which looks like a riva to the mini) they all look good and are cheaper than the mini but you dont get OS X which is what i really want !

cheers

chris

6. Jowl

Jowl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I held of on the Mini until Leopard came out. There were rumours of an upgrade/change even then. I didn't want them to end of line it though as it suited my need for a media centre.

I don't regret buying it at all. But if you don't have a specific need then you can afford to wait......unless they kill of the most affordable desktop Mac :D

7. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thats a good point Jowl. The current mini probably meets all my needs and while i dont want to buy one in case the upgrade it jusr after, it would be even worse if they stopped the mini altogether ! i guess if they pulled the mini they may replace it with another device but this may not do what i want it too

8. DCI Monkfish

DCI Monkfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  9. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Why start a new thread? You covered all of this in the old one.

10. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    actually my old thread was discussing the merits of apple tv vs mac mini and not whether a new mac mini will appear. To my mind these are two different topics.

Long posts which talk about everything under the sun regarding a certain topic become very messy in my opionion - much better to have shorter more focused threads which are useful references for people to search for

just my opinion.....

11. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Actually it was titled "Superdrive or external..." and discussed that and then went on to consider waiting for the potential new release. No mention of the Apple TV. That was a different thread ;)

Don't take this the wrong way, but keeping it all together helps others searching in the future, eg. at the moment we have two posts re. "Laptop Advice?" by the same author and both cover 95% the same stuff.

12. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thought you were refering to another post. The post you refer to got off track and went away from the original discussion (superdrive or external) onto a new topic (which I contributed too I know) but would have been better in a seperate more focused thread (as i started with this one) discussing just that one topic of if a new mini was due or not.

(Ironically this discussion we are having now shouldnt be in this thread but probably a wee PM would have been better so this thread doesnt end up off course too).

I realise what point you are making Tenex and if thats the way the forums work then im cool with that (I'm not really that bothered) I just think it is better to have shorter more focused threads discussing one specific topic rather than one thread talking about everything under the sun there is to discuss about that topic. I could be wrong here so will stand corrected and go with your method of discussing posts

cheers

Chris

P.s. no offence was taken and hopefully you are the same mate

13. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Absolutely. :hiya:

14. mcdermott_c

mcdermott_c