Unknown Problem With PC !! Please Help

JoeF2k2

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi, first of all i have been to all forums i can think of and posted the same message, so far no one can help me as they dont know, im hoping someone on here will or can give me suggestions to try other then the ones i have.

Right, On saturday i took the PSU out of my PC and put it into another PC as i thought the PSU in the other PC was out so i was just testing but there was nothing wrong with it so i put the PSU back in my computer exactly how i took it out and connected it all back up correctly and securely. May i add before i took the PSU out the pc was working fine and no problems at all.

When i powered up after putting it all back together i got the NO SIGNAL message on my monitor and i did not get the post beep on start up. I turned off and tried again but i kept getting the same message. I have reset the bios by taking the battery out for about 5 mins and putting it back in. I have took the video card out and replaced with another and still the same problem. I have took everything out of the case and reseated it all and still the same.

I also tried it with just the CPU and mobo and no change, i also tried it with one component each trying to find out if it was something on its own but nope still the same, I took the ram out etc etc. I also thought it may of been the hard drive as i didnt hear the post beep so tested the hard drive on another pc and it worked fine. Thought it was the mobo but i seem to get the Network card working, lights on at the back etc.

I thought it even may be the new monitor but no it aint as i tested it on the laptop and it worked fine. I am running out of ideas now so please if you have any or know what it may be please help, its been like this for 4 days now and still i am none the wiser to what it is as the pc was fine, all i did was take the psu out, cant see how that could do what its done :lease:

:(

Hi, you obviously seem to know what you are doing, as you have checked all the connections are correct and tried eliminating the problem by stripping down to just basic components. It may just be that the motherboard has picked up some damage during the PSU swap-out - I hope that is not the problem, but it may be... the only way to be sure is to try a different motherboard :(

deleted member said:
Hi, you obviously seem to know what you are doing, as you have checked all the connections are correct and tried eliminating the problem by stripping down to just basic components. It may just be that the motherboard has picked up some damage during the PSU swap-out - I hope that is not the problem, but it may be... the only way to be sure is to try a different motherboard :(

Hi yes i know what i am doing, done 3 years of ICT !! I have stripped it down to bare minimum and tried to eliminate that way but did not resolve anything, i just find it real strange its happened. Is there any way i would know if its the motherboard? would other things work if it was for instance the network card? the cpu running fan spinning, hard drive working away and so on?

Seems simple to me if you checked all usual stuff. The 'broken' pc broke it psu due to some internal problem on a component or motherboard. You now fitted a good psu and now its knackerd that one too....

A thought, is it a new type of CPU requiring the additional 4 pin psu connection.

Last poster spot on, sounds like you've missed the little 4 pin (P4) block connector on the system board. Even if it is an AMD CPU this connector needs to be plugged in as well as the main 24pin ATX power block.

Older AMD CPU's didn't need this with the 24 pin connector but newer ones need both.

easily missed

Attachments

• P4PWR.jpg
    P4PWR.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 74
I'll go with that aswell, did one myself just a few weeks back...

JoeF2k2 said:
i put the PSU back in my computer exactly how i took it out and connected it all back up correctly and securely.
He did seem pretty adamant that he had re-connected everything properly - let's hope he did overlook a PSU connection, rather than have a broken motherboard or PSU.

uridium said:
Last poster spot on, sounds like you've missed the little 4 pin (P4) block connector on the system board. Even if it is an AMD CPU this connector needs to be plugged in as well as the main 24pin ATX power block.

Older AMD CPU's didn't need this with the 24 pin connector but newer ones need both.

easily missed

Thanks for the replys guys, nope i did not miss the 4 pin connection i connected this to the mobo aswell as the long 24pin connector :smashin:

I had the same problem, when I built my computer. i thought it was the graphics card, but it actually turned out to be a faulty motherboard.

100%WHU said:
I had the same problem, when I built my computer. i thought it was the graphics card, but it actually turned out to be a faulty motherboard.

i am thinking it may be this after trying everything i can think of, is there anyone i can actually be sure its the mobo before buying a new one though? like i said earlier, would other components work i.e cpu, network card, hdd, cd drives etc ?

Sounds like you've got 'electric fingers' Joe, and have nuked the MBoard/CPU. Did you earth yourself on the case (power cable plugged in) before you started touching things?

Unlucky mate...

lol so i can stick my fingers into the plug socket and power up my tv :eek:

i did earth myself to the case before going in yes from what i remember, held for about 5 seconds before doing it, case was on so had to hole that for abit of time to unscrew it etc

Joe, I can electrocute a CPU just by being in the same room :D

If you ever get static shocks off of car doors, metal handrails etc, then you're Board/CPU/RAM is likely gonna be fried unfortunately....

I'm not a big believer in those wrist-straps, but i'm always really careful to earth myself when going inside PCs.

It might be something else, but if everything else is connected up right, and you've got lights on the NIC, then I'd say dead CPU/RAM is the only avenue to consider. :(

:( bugger !!! should i try the mobo out of the other PC first just to make sure? funnily enough i got a new mobo for it the other day lol

Check there isn't a short somewhere normally to the chassis near a mount. Remove the MB and disconnect everything.

Also check you power button is connected correctly. Do any of the power supply diagnostic LED's light on the MB?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom