Unknown Cabling?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by brucett, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. brucett

brucett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just bought a house where there are a lot of comms cabling linked between the rooms. The only issue I have no idea of what they were used for? I will get round to belling the cables out to find the exact routes but I was wondering if anyone had seen this before.

The previous owners hid all the cabling behind blanking plates as they didn't use any home automation/media systems. The cabling generally comes out adjacent to light switches or near tv aerial sockets, in the lounge for instance.

The cabling in question is either 8core or 12core : P/N 2408 COF-V E59428 AWM 2464 CX-1 800 300V.

I know this could possibly be used for ethernet cabling, however, why would you run ethernet cabling to light switches? Any ideas are appreciated!

I have attached a photo for an example:
    [​IMG]

2. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Some home automation systems like the Loxone require cat5/6/7 cable to be run from each node back to a central location, so if all these cables terminate centrally - it could be that the house was wired for such a system.

3. kbharj

kbharj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had the same sort of cabling near my light switches and ceiling speakers. I was advised they're for a old system called OPUS, some details can be found here