Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Univsersal Players and Bass Management

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by warrj, Jun 5, 2003.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 'cheap' universal player (i.e. DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD) as a stopgap until the format wars shake themselves out. Although I'm aware that the current crop of universal players probably only offer a glimpse of what the new hi-res formats are capable of there is one area in which I have specific requirements; bass management.

Specifically I need the player to be able to adjust the subwoofer crossover frequency. This is because my subwoofer (a Sonus Faber Gravis) has an upper frequency cut-off of 65Hz and (I'm guessing) that most DVD-A/SACD DACs will default to something like 80Hz.

So, a couple of questions arise:

1. Are any players capable of this level of bass management?
    2. If so, do they do it 'properly' (i.e. for SACD do they keep everything as DSD)?
    3. As an alternative do universal players let you specify 'no sub' and then subsequently send full-range info to the other front speakers (I can then use the high-level input into the sub)?

Also, does anyone have any opionions wrt to the hi-res playback abilities of the Pioneer, Denon and Marantz universal players?

BTW, I already have an Arcam CD23 for CD playback so I'm really not interested in their CD playback abilities.

Regards,

Jules.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    1) The 757 can't have it's cutoff frequency adjusted.
    2) See 1) above
    3) You can set no sub on the 757 ... and I think any .1 information is then sent to the front speakers.

As an alternative to the above ... a company called Outlaw in the US do an analogue bass management unit designed to site between a SACD (or DVD) player to provide comprehensive bass management - allowing different frequencies to be set for different sets of speakers, etc. Their web address is www.outlawaudio.com The unit can also be used between a processor and power amps to provide comprehensive bass management.

Vikki

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry disagree Vikki, I set my sub to off on the 757 and played the test tone from VE and didn't get any .1 channel from any speaker using the 5.1 inputs to my 1066.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Okay ... I wasn't sure to be honest slingshot.

Whats "VE" anyway?

5. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oops sorry Video Essentials.

So what settings do you use on your 757 ? Had any problems with bass doubling etc on the 1066 that the Americans keep complaining about and cutting resistors to fix ?

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    No bass doubling issues noticable. Have told the 757 we've got a sub and all large speakers (IIRC).

Don't use the 757 to decode DD and DTS of course ... just for SACD / DVD-A.

Need to buy a new set of front speakers now (sold the 602s2) but going to wait see how much tax I get back (stupid companies that charge tax at Basic Rate - though we'd have only spent it in dribbles if we'd had it so year end rebate worked out okay I suppose!!).

Vikki

7. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all.

Hmm, it seems that none of the following players do what I need: Pioneer 656, 757 (no meaningful bass management), Denon 2900 (crossover fixed at 80Hz), Marantz 8300 (no meaningful bass management).

Bummer.

The only one which I've found which seems to do what I need is the Arcam DV89. However, it's not universal and it's 1300 squid - which is lot to pay for a piece of technology with a relatively short shelf life (fast moving industry and all that).

Perhaps it's just too difficult to do a truly universal player at the moment. Maybe next year or the year after? There may even be some discs in my local HMV then?

What's really frustrating is that magazine reviews of hi-res players don't seem to comment much on bass management. All they seem to do is copy the manufacturer's feature list and comment on how huge the feature list is for the price.

Apologies for the rant.

Regards,

Jules.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    As I say ... try checking out the Outlaw Bass management unit ... I don't have personal experience of it but its raved about by users on US forums.

Outlaw supply direct via their website (no dealers) so don't know if they will supply to the UK. $250 (plus bits) will not only provide you with bass management now ... but is more comprehensive than any processor (that I've come accross) - has separate cross over frequencies for different speakers - so will still be useful later if/when you do get more comprehensive bass management in universal players.

Vikki

9. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32