University applications!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GuitarGuy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    How's it going for all those who applied for entry next year? Got two offers back so far of the five!

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,382
    My son has 4 from 4 interviews, final interview on Feb 15th - confident he will get an offer from them aswell.

Difficult bit will be choosing as he still only has it down to three.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. yatesDELTA

yatesDELTA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nice one :)
    When I was doing this a year ago, I hadn't even sent my UCAS off yet! Turned out alright, got 5 offers and I'm now at my first choice uni :)

4. qwerty321

qwerty321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    What is he applying for?

My Sister has applied for Psychology and now has offers from all 5 of her choices. Now to decide on which ones to pick.

5. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,382
    MEng in Chemical Engineering

Needs to choose from

Birmingham
    Loughborough
    Nottingham

Has offers from but doesn't want

Bath
    Surrey

Cheers,

Nigel

6. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    thats awsome, funnily enough i have the same three hes choosing from with cardiff and sheffield hallam in the ones I dont want for electronic eng

7. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,382
    What did you think of Nottingham.

In terms of the campus and atmosphere, it was my favourite by far. But in all the league tables their ChemEng department comes last out of his choices.

Obviously, my son's decision in the end.

Surrey are funny - they are practically stalking him. Since his offer through UCAS he has received 5 seperate letters from him. One from the interviewer saying how much he enjoyed the discussion. One from the admissions tutor offering any help. One reminding him that he could be in line for a bursory. One with the official offer. And finally a Christmas Card! We were laughing about it over dinner one day and the phone rang - I said "That'll be Surrey wanted to know if you fancied a pint".

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32,253
    I seem to remember Nottingham uni having one of the best male/female ratios :D

9. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,382
  10. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32,253
    Most probably - the grass was always greener and all that :)

11. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    i thought nottingham was amazing, and i plan on taking up the year in malaysia thing they do too which looked absolutely incredible, still waiting to hear back. and lol thats pretty funny!

12. qwerty321

qwerty321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I think the reason Nottingham is so good is that you have Nottingham and Nottingham Trent unis both in close proximity so makes it a good student town.

Birmingham is my Sister's first choice, Notts is on her list but probably wont be her 2nd.

13. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,613
    :eek:

And I was pleased to get a letter from them saying how much they liked me after my interview!

14. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I didn't turn up to my interview with Nottingham (already had the offers I wanted elsewhere) and still got accepted back in 2002 Engineering department.

Mind you back then very few universities bothered with interviewing candidates, just had to turn up to the open days.

15. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,749
    There's a lot of talent in Nottingham :D

16. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32,253
    [​IMG]

17. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,382
    Neither Nottingham nor Bath interviewed my son - just offered a place based on the UCAS application.

The other three have had interview days, but to be honest, it's been more about selling the lessor university with a short chat with the applicant tagged on.

Mind you the minium offer for ChemEng seems to be AAB, with the top ones asking for AAA or AAA*.

The majority of the applicants are on target for 4 As or higher, so I think it becomes more focussed on the university trying to attract talent away from the more prestigious universities.

I have attended every visit with my son, I left with the impression that it was much more about the university trying to convince you to come rather than rejecting students they didn't want.

Cheers,

Nigel

18. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    with electronic engineering im lucky in that its not as highly contested, my unis are all pretty up there in ranking (bar sheffield hallam) and they ask for ABB or below which is great :) goes to show electronics isnt as difficult to get places which im not complaining about.

19. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,382
    ChemEng is quite odd.

There aren't many universities that do it - 21.

The courses are all (pretty sure it is all) accredited by the institute (IChemE) so they are all pretty much the same standard.

It's highly recommended to do the MEng because this makes the route to Chartered Engineer much quicker.

So the entry requirements are for an MEng rather than a BEng. The requirement for a BEng is usually one grade lower but hardly anyone goes for that.

Cheers,

Nigel

20. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Same with most Universities. In my experience only the very best departments, encourage/discourage students in joining. i.e. back when I spoke to the Maths department in Warwick (best Math. uni in the country at the time), they made it clear they took only the best, not only did they expect you to get at least a 'A' at A-level (preferably in further maths) they also made entrants do a maths exam specifically designed by their own department before offering conditional places.

I'm not a big fan of generic university league tables (also I've noticed if a university has spent a significant amount of cash in a particular year i.e. new building, etc, they jump in the rankings several places), because each department varies significantly at a university i.e. the uni I joined had an excellent Engineering dept., but a terrible Comp. Science dept. I joined the engineering dept. the reason it was so far ahead apart from having good lecturers was the student to lecturer ratio. I could easily book a meeting with any lecturer and in most cases they'd be okay with answering my questions on a one to one basis.

It's actually pretty difficult to determine which dept. at what uni. are 'better' without actually studying at them. So I've found the best way to determine this is by questioning the students presently at the university. If they can give you a coherent answer i.e. no BS, which you should be able to do at the open days.

There is another table, I can't remember the name, something like best universities ranked by the students themselves. It's quite useful, mores so than the newspaper tables.

21. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I applied for Medicine (so my application went off for the early October deadline). Competition is fierce so you can't get offers without interviews....I got called for interview at all 4 of my choices, had 3 of them so far and got the fourth in March.
    Got an offer from King's College London first (AAAC), and then also Sheffield (AAA) :clap:
    Rejected from Oxford after interview, wasn't surprised tbh, I knew I had completely messed the interviews up.
    Leicester interview coming up in March, although even if I do get an offer there I don't think I'll take it, I don't wanna stay at home :D

22. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    good luck mate! havent heard from my first 2 yet which is making me nervous!

23. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    What's wrong with Newcastle :D

24. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    quite the opposite actually, almost everyone in my school has been advised to go for the beng of a better uni than the meng of a uni they can make, almost all unis allow 2nd year students who have a high enough over all percentage to switch to the meng at the end of the year so it makes more sense.

25. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    That's what we were told too, in fact it is what I did.

But competition for places is more fierce today and the university may choose to prefer those who intend to do the masters. Also switching from a bachelors to a masters can be a pain in the arse, not with the uni, but the LEA. When I switched and called the LEA the person I spoke to didn't have a clue said I'd probably not get funding. Eventually, I spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about and told me it's fine, I'd just have to get the university to write to the LEA confirming the change of course.

26. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I just asked mum about that and she said that's nothing unusual, apparently theres a lot of people who tried to fiddle with it to trick the lea lot, so they introduced the system, but any uni allowing you to switch up to a masters should be more than happy to write a short letter to confirm it for you, no?

27. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,382
    The NSS (National Student Survey). Looked there too and it pretty much tallies with the three league tables I've looked at (Guardian, Times, TheCompleteUniversity).

I agree that you have to take them with a good degree of caution, because they do include stuff like amount spent on research and the average UCAS grade score which isn't wholly revelvent.

The NSS is good because it does ask questions about the department like - were the tutors helpful, did you get good feedback on work submitted etc.

Cheers,

Nigel

28. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,382
    I questioned both Birminham and Surrey about this.

Both (in fact all) said that at the end of the 2nd year, BEng students who had acheived a relevent score could move to the MEng - likewise MEng students who had not acheived the relevent score could be asked to step down to BEng (but may not be).

But the initial entrance requirements were different for the two courses

Birmingham AAA and AAB
    Surrey AAB and ABB

I asked why would anyone apply for a MEng rather than a BEng. You get lower entry requirements with a BEng and then you can move to the MEng later on.

I was given the same two answers

(i) There is a slight risk that the student will not get the top-up funding from the LEA. Despite the uni fees being £9k, a ChemEng course costs around £14k. The difference is made up by the LEA. If you apply for MEng up front then the LEA is commited to top up for 4 years. But if you apply for the BEng the LEA has only commited to top up for 3 years. If you then move to the MEng, the university or the student (not sure which) has to request that the LEA extend their commitment for another year. It's considered a very small risk that they will say no, but even so it is a risk.

(ii) Both universities said that they preferred students to apply for the MEng and when pushed admitted that they probably did favour those applications when making offers. But again a very small risk.

And finally, all have said that if they offer the MEng (say AAB) and you acheive ABB then they will stand by the offer but at BEng entry.

So for me there didn't seem to be any real benefit of applying for BEng, in fact a very very slight advantage applying for the MEng.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  29. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    In fairness it doesn't really matter about the difference in fees. The predictions look set that the vast majority of graduates will never ever finish paying the tuition fees off. Simple as that. So even if the fees weren't covered it would be irrelevant. And if you are earning enough to pay it off then it wouldent even make a dent to your cash in pocket because of the amount you pay based on what you earn.

30. iPooooon

iPooooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I've had 4 out of 5 replies (2 offers and 2 interviews) for mchem. Just waiting on Newcastle, I've heard its beautiful and its my first choice.