Universal Remote?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Himji, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will a universal remote work on a PS3? I need one anyway and rather than just buying the PS3 remote and having yet another to go with my collection, if it works, I'll just pay the extra and get a good universal one

2. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    ps3 uses bluetooth so its not that straightforward. Would be great if harmony came out with a bluetooth enabled version of one of their remotes. You can use ps2's ir receiver and connect it that way.. some of the functions work but its a bit clunky..

3. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    As the PS3 only supports blutooth it would have to be a remote that also supprts bluetooth or an infrared one that comes with an infrared reciever. As already mentioned it's not very straight forward.

4. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, so I'll look around for an IR remote that supports BT.. Thanks guys :D

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I think you have got it mixed up. It has to be either a universal remote that supports bluetooth or a universal IR remote that comes with a seperate IR reciever that will work with the PS3. I don't know if either of them exist. You're only option may be to buy the PS3 bluetooth remote and use that just for the PS3.

6. davemackenzie

davemackenzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Theres only one at the moment which uses the ps3's usb port, but to be honest, i would just buy the blu-ray remote, its £16 in game which i think is quite reasonable considering what it does in itself!!!

7. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, had a good search and I agree, looks liek a universal remote isn't going happen right now. Oh well, off to play I go

8. vtrnutter

vtrnutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have my PS3 set up so that my Harmony 555 is controlling it. As previous posts have mentioned, the PS3 does not have its own IR receiver (very strange that Sony did not give it one) and instead it uses Bluetooth.

The solution to this problem is quite easy and works for 99% of the functions you would ever want.

If you do not have the official Sony Bluetooth remote control, Sony have designed the normal Sixaxis controllers so that they can control the playback functionality. This also includes wired controllers that you plug into the USB ports. So if you have a PS2 controlled with a PS2/USB convertor, then you can also control it.

Now for the interesting bit. I recently bought a logic3 IR (from gameseek) for the PS3. This is a small USB device with a IR receiver. When it receives the IR signal, it translates the signal into the same command that the controller would have sent via the USB port. So I programmed my Harmony 555 remote with the signals from the supplied remote that came with the USB device and job done!

It does not control all functions, but most that you would use day to day.

9. CFS

CFS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Anyone else find it a touch annoying that a PS3 is the only box in their inventory that can't be controlled with a universal remote, due to the fact PS3 uses Bluetooth instead of infra-red?

Now granted Bluetooth has its benefits, but I've just got a brand new Harmony One, and the thing i use the most is uncontrollable with it. A touched miffed. Is there no way they could have built IR as well as Bluetooth into the PS3? Or even Bluetooth into the Harmony? I don't like the look of the add-ons which Logitech suggested.

Please correct me if I am being naive.

CFS

10. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    theres loads of posts on this already it can be done by geting something like the logic 3 remote which comes with a usb IR sensor its really sloiw navigating the menus compared to using the controller but it does work