Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Universal remote - repeat presses won't work!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Plobelle, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Plobelle

Plobelle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a bit of an odd problem which I'd be grateful for help with.

I have programmed my Philips Pronto remote twith all the MCE remote IR commands. It works fine apart from when I press the same button twice. Thois seems to apply whether I'm sending numbers or menu navigation commands or anything else. So for example I can press 12 and get channel 12 but not 11 to get channel 11. The second 1 is seemingly ignored by MCE. As long as I press a sequence of different keys they all work OK.

Interestingly after I send a signal from the Pronto, if I press the same key on the real MCE remote the first press is ignored then it recovers and works fine.

I've never had a problem using my remote with any other devices and I'm stumped.

Any suggestions please?

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I seem to remember having just this problem some years ago; I think it was with my Arcam DVD player and a Pronto. (I dont have the Pronto any more). If IIRC (it was some time ago) I think I solved the problem by adding a second code (didnt matter what so long as it was not from something in the same room) to each button I was likely to press twice.
    Crude but it worked. Funny do not seem to have the problem with my harmony that now controls that DVD player.

Richard

Edit I cannot for the life of me think why this worked; so I may have forgotten something but it might be worth a try. :)

3. Plobelle

Plobelle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard.

I have actually just found the cause, on remotecentral.com, in the section "Why won't my buttons work twice in a row?" in their Pronto FAQ (although the answer is not specific to a Pronto remote).

http://http://www.remotecentral.com/pronto/pfaq-b4.htm#b4-05

I'll need to implement a workaround along the lines you suggested.

4. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Good news, that isn't actually your problem and the real one is simple to solve. The MCE remote implements something called "debounce", which means that with each button press the remote alternates the signal code it sends, I think to limit accidental double button presses. Hence, when you program your universal remote it only has one of the codes, so it will work the first time you press it but wont work again until after you've pressed something else.

To disable debounce you need to change a registry key. Find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

and change the value of the EnableDebounce DWORD value on the right hand side from 1 to 0. You might need to reboot for it to take effect.

Slink

5. Plobelle

Plobelle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm impressed, Slink. Wherever do you find out this stuff? Unfortunately though, although this solves the original problem, the bounce then becomes an equally bad problem (both with the Printo and the "real" MCE remote).

Oh well, guess I'll need to go back to inserting some "do nothing" codes after each Pronto action (assuming I can find suitable codes).

6. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    strange, i never suffered the bounce after disabling this. Do you teach your pronto by code or by pointing the mce remote at it and pressing the button? If the latter you could try pressing the button for longer.

7. Plobelle

Plobelle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I teach the Pronto by pressing and holding down the relevant key on the real MCE remote. In any case after applying your registry tweak I get the bounce problem using the real remote so it can't be a problem with the Pronto.

I think I can use the "Clear" button as a "do nothing" code after most keys. That won't work after digits though. I'm sure I'll get it sorted now - just a bit tedious - your idea was much more straightforward.

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Which pronto have you got, works fine with my ru950, media center remote still works ok as well.

9. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    IIRC I just used a code from another remote that belonged to a mini hi fi that I keep in another room. It did not seem to matter that the unit that was bouncing did not understand that code; it just seemed to have to receive a code.

Richard

10. Plobelle

Plobelle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5 year old RU890 Pronto (never gone wrong). Perhaps they improved things in later models.

Thanks Richard46. I hadn't thought of using a code for another device as a "do nothing" in between MCE codes. The Teletext button on the MCE remote does nothing for me and works everywhere except with digits (e.g selcting channel 11 doesn't work when sending 1,Teletext,1). I'll try your suggestion out this evening.

11. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

That could be the problem, the latest ru950 firmware has support for media center ir commands and more advanced ir signals, check the philips pronto website to see if there are any firmware updates available for the 890.

12. ExpatEU

ExpatEU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm reawakening an old thread because guess what -- my old Philips Pronto RU890 (SYS V3.62, APP V4.85) has suddenly decided not to issue repeat commands (or at least that's the practical effect as described in the thread)...
    I moved countries and put the Pronto into a desk drawer until I'd settled in. Then for various reasons I invested in a new TV, new Sat receiver & new DVD recorder and after a while getting used to the new remotes, went ahead and reprogrammed the Pronto.
    As in the past I did this via my PC using the ProntoEdit 4.0.5 software and this went well, I thought, until trying out the result for real. I could turn the TV sound off but not on again unless I'd used some other command. I could select Teletext page 123 but not 111. I could call channel 32 on the Sat receiver but not channel 33.
    The link http://www.remotecentral.com/...q-b4.htm#b4-05 posted by Plobelle doesn't work anymore, sad to say.
    If anyone can recall what it said, or if anyone has any new ideas, I'd be grateful!!!
    Jim

13. ExpatEU

ExpatEU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0