Universal remote: Kameleon One4all 8308

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by v CJ v, Jan 24, 2008.

1. v CJ v

v CJ v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I noticed a lot of topics running, with the mention of the Kameleon 8308.

So, i decided to create a quick thread, detailing my experience so far with it.

My fiancée saw the remote in the Argos catalogue for £49.99, so I took a look on Play.com (one of my main sources) for a price comparison and noted it at £59.99. Hmmm, good deal then.

However, to my surprise, it was only £34.99 at PC World / Dixons / Comet / Currys according to their websites.

I bought the remote on Tuesday evening this week from a local Currys store.

I was torn between the 8305 and the 8308. The 8305 offered 5 devices, where as the 8308 offered 8. However, the 8305 was slightly smaller to hold.

I went for the 8308, this way it's almost future proof for me.

I set up my Samsung plasma and LG DVD player no problems, and then called their helpdesk for the Humax download (you put the earpiece of the phone near the remote, and it will download the code, how cool)

The end result, i am a happy bunny, as i have reduced 3 remotes to one, very cool one.

:thumbsup:

And, a few snaps, which will sway your decision either way.......

Off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    I have one of the old Kameleons in the dining room. I'm looking for something either for the bedroom or the dining room (and move the old one upstairs)

MOD EDIT:LINK REMOVED

MOD COMMENT: Please do not direct link to images without the websites permission. This is considered bandwidth theft and is against forum rules. Many thanks.

My old Kameleon has a few flaws that I hated

Most screens have multiple pages that turn off some buttons but add some others, thing is most of these pages were completely unnecessary with maybe 1 button difference, for example the satellite pages have 3 pages, page three has menu and PVR, page 2 is virtually identical but with the PVR buttons turned off, i.e. just blank and page 1 had the menu buttons truned off so half the page was blank. Does the new Kameleon do this?

You had absolutely no control over which buttons show on each page. is this still the case or do you get a little more control?

I don't really want the complexity of a harmony for only 2 or 3 devices (TV, Sky by digi eye and possibly a DVD player) besides the Pronto I have as my main remote is more than complicated enough and I did like the kameleon.

Can you post more detailed thoughts on the Kameleon because I am tempted

3. v CJ v

v CJ v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    You are not able to edit what buttons show on each device, which is very limited.

Luckily, all the buttons I require work on the remote.

It is certainly value for money, and I am pleased I made this purchase.

4. uncle.rs

uncle.rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Kameleon is a JP1 remote so it can be altered by programming on your PC, It is not sold for this purpose.

You will need to buy a lead and it can be very time consuming but rewarding.

If you run a search on google for JP1 you will come across forums set up just for these all in one remotes with JP1 programming.

I have a rev 2 Kameleon and I set all my AV equipment up using the JP1 program. ALthough I have just bought a Harmony 555 to have aplay and the programming of this is a lot easier. The jury is still out as to which one a like best.

Uncle.rs

5. namgc2

namgc2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This looks a good value Remote.

Can anyone confirm if it'll control a projector, I have Optoma HD73

Many thanks

6. ForwardPlanning

ForwardPlanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a one for all Kameleon URC 8308. Does anyone know the code to connect this to a Virgin plus box? I have connected it using some of the codes on the website but it does not show up the record functions e.g. stop play etc.

Any ideas as to the correct code?

7. scaffolderus

scaffolderus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes, Im quite pleased with My URC-8308. Their website isn't the easiest to navigate but you should be able to find the codes for most kit. The over-the-phone upgrade for the Humax PVR took a bit of doing - but I got there in the end. In fact as long as you can get it to turn your kit on and off, all the other stuff can be learned from your original R/C. All my kit works fine now. The inability to change the icons isn't a major problem either, just use one of the unused ones (e.g. "--/-" for "stop recording" on the Sony HDR and "prog" for "Media" on the Humax PVR).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009