Universal remote for several different things.

Moore86

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a long time user of this forum but first time posting. OK so I'm in a bit of a dilemma! I'm after a remote to use with my tv which is a TCL 50EP648, Roku Premiere, av which is Sony STR DN1080 and my Xbox one. If also like one that is upgradable, so when I upgrade my Xbox to the X, then my remote won't be useless. The Logitech Harmony Companion has fantastic reviews but I can't find it if it'll control all of my devices? And I also know that there are a lot of different remotes out there that do similar, for a lot cheaper of a price tag. The Inteset 4 in 1 that is a lot cheaper, but I don't know if it'll do the job? Please help guys!!!!

Are they all infrared controlled? If so a Harmony 350 should do the job. You can check device compatibility here...

Are they all infrared controlled? If so a Harmony 350 should do the job. You can check device compatibility here...

Thanks for your response but the Roku Premiere doesn't use IR as its a stick behind the TV so there's no direct view between the stick and remote.

Thanks for your response but the Roku Premiere doesn't use IR as its a stick behind the TV so there's no direct view between the stick and remote.

I think the Premiere will accept IR signals though won't it? At least according to the charts on wiki in the link below it will. One way round it if the signal won't bounce off the walls to the stick is to get a cheap HDMI extension cable so you can position the Roku somewhere that it can get the IR signal.

I think the Premiere will accept IR signals though won't it? At least according to the charts on wiki in the link below it will. One way round it if the signal won't bounce off the walls to the stick is to get a cheap HDMI extension cable so you can position the Roku somewhere that it can get the IR signal.

That's a fantastic, and a very inexpensive solution. So, will all the other devices I've mentioned all be able to be controlled by this?

Use the comparability chart in my first post to check your devices. As well as loading the codes for devices through the free software, Harmonys can also learn remote codes directly from other remotes. I've been using them for years now and I'm yet to find an IR capable device that I can't use with a Harmony remote.

Use the comparability chart in my first post to check your devices. As well as loading the codes for devices through the free software, Harmonys can also learn remote codes directly from other remotes. I've been using them for years now and I'm yet to find an IR capable device that I can't use with a Harmony remote.
That's fantastic, I think due to the support I'll go with one of the Harmony remotes, now I've just got to pick the right one for me I suppose?

I have a couple of 350's and a previous version of the current 665 and like all of them. Mine are all from the low end of the range but do all I need. I think the 350 can only handle 4 devices at any one time though so if it's for your main system and there's chances of future expansion then the 665 might be more sensible, unless you want to spend big money and get a more fancy one!

I have a couple of 350's and a previous version of the current 665 and like all of them. Mine are all from the low end of the range but do all I need. I think the 350 can only handle 4 devices at any one time though so if it's for your main system and there's chances of future expansion then the 665 might be more sensible, unless you want to spend big money and get a more fancy one!
I'm currently on Amazon and they have the Harmony Companion used for £50 so that seems really quite reasonable?

I don't know much about the companion as it didn't exist last time I went shopping for a remote but if that RRP on Amazon is close to being correct then that does sound like a good deal indeed.

Hi have both the harmony companion and the harmony one. Both are excellent at what they do. I like the screen of the harmony one but like the fact that the companion came with the harmony hub. The hub makes it a doddle to use home automation. I.E Set up activities for gaming, movies, music or what ever you like and the harmony turns on all your devices and sets them to appropriate inputs/outputs. Or just say Alexa turn on movies and it turns on your TV sets it to hdm1 turns on receiver and sets it to hdmi 2 or whatever you wish. Only downside to the companion is, it is limited to 8 devices so if have more than that you may need to look at the harmony elite which accommodates 15 devices. Love it.

can anyone with the companion confirm that it can be used as a general remote for say sky or an amp etc i just got one but all i can get it to do is activities, granted it works perfectly but but i need it to control the individual devices like a normal harmony did, thanks

I have used my companion remote/hub to control my Pioneer VSX-923 Receiver, Pioneer Plasma TV,
BT Youview box, Pioneer BDP-170 Blu Ray Player, Sony DVD Changer,NOW TV Box, and Pioneer Laserdisc Player.
without any issues.
Can also be used with iPhone / iPad / Android Smartphone
Currently for sale here:

I have two, a Marmitek HDMI matrix switch and saka mini TV that I use as a control screen for my AVR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom