1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stereo Steve, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anyone aware of a recorder that can do SACD and DVD-A? I currently have a Pio 656 for DVD/CD/SACD etc. and a VCR but I'm keen to get a DVD recorder the replace the VCR and was wondering if I can cut down to one box.

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Unless, and no doubt someone will correct me if i have, i've missed one, all the DVD-R's so far only record in two channel. I haven't seen any standalone SACD or DVD-A recorders at all. I think this is less down to technology, and more down to copyright wrangles as many of the reviewers have bemoaned the omission of multi channel recording - probably indicating they know from industry sources (and i've heard rumours to this effect) that this has been possible on domestic machines for a while.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I wouldn't want to record SACD or DVD-A, just be able to play it back on the same machine as I record TV on.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The short answer is no with no universal solution of the horizon either :(

Panasonic supports DVD-Audio (currently 2 channel on the E100, it will be 5.1 next year) but has "no intention" of supporting SACD. Philips and Sony supports SACD (although neither does on their DVDRs). Pioneer supports both formats - but not on their DVDRs. Other universal players, i.e. Denon, haven't entered the DVDR market.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Ah, thought that implied you wanted to record as well as play back! Oh well! No-one supports record and DVD-A SACD as well. As Rasczak says only the DMR-100 supports DVD-A but only in two channel.

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I guess Pioneer is the best bet but it looks like it will be some time before that happens. I think I'll just get the cheapest recorder that allows me to edit recordings.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    A year at the very least.

Yeah most people on here have got a DVD recorder and have a seperate DVD player for playback - as you get more choice of playback features that way.