Universal Player - worth buying or not?

Endeavour

I have slowly been upgrading my kit over the last few months. I now have a TX200 PJ, 436SXE Plasma and a Denon 4306. I haven't done anything about my DVD as yet. I have a HTPC, a Denon 2800 and a Sony DVD recorder hooked up. I have been impressed by the resulting video output both from the HTPC and the 2800 upscaled through the 4306. Only the 2800 is multi-region.

One of my original intentions when I started the process was that I wanted to be able to play back pretty much any kind of media. I still have no way of playing DVDA or SACD. I do like listening to multichannel music but this has so far been restricted to the DD or DTS tracks. However, there is not really enough content out there to make it worth paying a lot for the facility.

Is there a inexpensive (new or used) universal player which can match the 2800 on video and cd? It is pretty likely that I will add a PS/3 when they come out - is it confirmed that it will play SACDs?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom