1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal player Denon 2200 or 2900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MR2Harvey, Jan 18, 2004.

1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm looking for a universal player or be matched with a NAD 752 Amp, AE Evo 3A surround speakers and Hitachi PMA400E plasma. I want top picture quality, DVD audio SACD and good enough CD playback considering my modest system. What do you think should I go for the 2900 or will the 2200 be quiet sufficent?

Harvey

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got anywhere local to give them a try?

Personally, I'd go for the 2900, but that's probably because I've got one. If budget is a consideration then I would imagine the 2200 to be a reasonable alternative.

As for CD replay, the 2900 is more than adequate, but having obtained a very well priced Arcam CD92T, I now realise it's no great shakes. And note, neither the 2900 or 2200 offers HDCD support.

3. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Right I'm going to confess my ignorance here, what is HDCD?

Also does anyone know when HD DVD is coming out, should I wait for this as my Plasma will be able to show it in most it's glory?

Harvey

4. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Hi Harvey,

HDCD - High Definition Compatible Digital. Basically a form of 'encoding/decoding' on CD software, supposed to produce better sounding audio. It's something I've not had the experience of, but when I was researching it prior to my purchase of a new 'universal' player, it was apparent there were quite alot of for/againsts regarding HDCD.

Most 'HiFi' mags seemed to frown upon it as it seemed they reckon it actually added 'noise' to the recording. Moreover, AFAIK, it seems that HDCD is now either owned or aligned with Microsoft in some way, but I'll confess my ignorance here.

It might be a nice addition to either the 2900 (which I plumped for) or 2200 if they had HDCD, but in the every day real world, I doubt it's something you'd particularly miss - I know I don't.

BTW - no idea about HD-DVD. Can't see it hitting these shores for another 3-5 years (possibly more) yet. As for the States, who knows. AFAIK, they're still debating the actual format, as it seems - like Recordable DVD - there's a few different standards that are vying for release.

Best regards,

LAGAVULIN

5. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That for the info Lagavulin. I'm swaying towards the 2900.. It's great fun looking to spend money isn't it!!

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just be aware that several threads round here discuss problems with multi-regioned Denons, especially the 2900, so if you're going MR you may want to consider something else.

7. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Or you could consider the hundreds of people (me included) who own a 2900 and have had nothing but superb service from a machine with stunning PQ.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Which is great for the hundreds but no consolation to the not so few.

9. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It might be worth noting that the 2900 I'm using is in fact the third example I've tried. The first two (from two entirely different sources, I might add) had an anomaly with the RGB output.

Again, I would suggest you try before you buy - and it might be worth considering one of the new Pioneer's.

10. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for the comments

11. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Mine too is fully multi-regioned, and AFAIK, the prob is NOT entirely due to the simple fact of the multi-regioning done to the machine, but the actual firmware used to do the job. I was fortunate enough to use the actual CD-R supplied by a Denon rep and I've had ZERO probs with it.

Most of the probs I've perused seem to be associated with the downloads from the net. Some work great, some don't. IMHO, I reckon with the 'official' (I say in inverted commas) upgrade, you're safe.

Regards,

LAGAVULIN