Universal - HD DVD Support Continues

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Responding to "informed" statements from the likes of Bill Hunt on te fact they were about to go neutral, Universal has issued a statement:

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.

Furthermore the studio plans new HD DVD announcments in the 'near future'. And the HD DVD Promotions Group is also planning a statement regarding the rumors of a Universal switch to format neutrality.

Looks like the format war has grown some new legs.

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
IMO this is encouraging news, at least they seem to have an interest in letting us all know what they plan to do, sooner rather than later.

Jim Morrison

"Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format"

Looks like carefully worded PR fluff to me.

micks_address

yes it doesnt mention that it intends to support it exclusively though... so i'd say blue ray releases cant be that far off from them

Pecker

Distinguished Member
"Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format"

Looks like carefully worded PR fluff to me.

Remind me. The Warner announcement - did that say "We are going to support BD exclusively forever"?

Oooh! Must be PR fluff, that. :smashin:

Here's the point. At the moment, everyone's options are still open. Even Sony & the BDA have said they don't think the Warner move means the war is over.

Steve W

JamesL

I think this is very good news; we have now had Universaland Paramount both say they intend to continue HD DVD support. As long as one or both remain exclusive the war will continue and we can transition to a dual format future.

:smashin:

Its very sad......do these people not know how much damage they have done and thats nothing to do with the format 'war'. Fine back what format you want.......but stop talking rubbish just because its this months buzz word. :suicide:

I also notice that it was because of the colour and that was why WB's moved. Thats the best one, they both use blue lazer and have been formed and approved by the dvd forum. You know the people looking out for you and me. Remember its just a disc format, you know like the many we have had before. ;)

When I first seen a dvd, I went :eek:....you get to go from this massive black box that has tape to this little shinny thing. You can get loads of extras also and fast forward like a cd. :smashin:

Now compare that to what HD would give me.......First I need a tv that supports the HD format. Now what level do I want 720 or 1080, what connection type do I want also component, vga or hdmi. Then what about audio......how many formats do I want.

No how does any comany get joe soap to understand the above !!!!! It looks like its uphill for most for the next few years. :(

We can all step back from HD to SD but could you go from dvd to video ? I would say a very did NO why is HD not like that ? Why does it make me only want HD and nothing else ?

N20Y1D

iraqmoi.bmp
I think this is very good news; we have now had Universaland Paramount both say they intend to continue HD DVD support. As long as one or both remain exclusive the war will continue and we can transition to a dual format future.

Sounds like something he would have said :smashin:

featherhall

Distinguished Member
I, for one am happy that they have made this statement, and it gives more confidence to HDDVD owners.

As poster above stated, Warners gave no 'forever' statement either.

Can't wait for the Heroes second series now :thumbsup:

Sonic67

Banned
I've got both formats. I've backed both horses. They can go to whichever format they like. It just means I get more red boxes or blue. Why they couldn't have said something earlier I've no idea. One week on and this was all.

eiren

Distinguished Member
When it comes to Universal, a lot of people seem to forget the following:

said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group

Sonic67

Banned
Yes I always thought they'd be the last to switch. Like Sony if it was the other way.

Spinke

I don't know what the source of this article is, but they seem to think Universal have stated that they're no longer HD DVD exclusive Variety.

the_pauley

Banned
If Universal and Paramount stand firm and remain HD DVD exclusive we could have an interesting turn of events later in the year. Remember how many Blu Ray people (note, people, not fanboys) went format neutral purely to get their hands on Paramount titles (Transformers in particular)?

Well take a look at some of the tiltes Paramount and Universal have in their recent/upcoming cinema release schedule for 2007/2008:

Cloverfield
Iron Man
Star Trek (11)
The Scorpion King: Rise of the Akkadian
Jurassic Park IV
Creature from the Black Lagoon
(Remake)
The Incredible Hulk
The Incredible Shrinking Man
(Remake)
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Death Race
Bee Movie
Beowulf
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
(Burton / Depp!!!)
World War Z (J. Michael Straczynski's Science Fiction opus)
When Worlds Collide (Remake)
The Warriors (Remake)
Ant Man (Marvel Comics adaptation)
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Ghost Town
(Rick Gervais' Ghostbusters style comedy)

These are just the high concept action/fantasy/horror/SF titles that have the big appeal to many home cinema enthusiasts. There are some pretty big "grown up" movies too:

American Gangster
Charlie Wilson's War
(This years big multiple Golden Globe/Oscar contender)
Frost/Nixon
The Untouchables 2: Capone Rising

Eastern Promise (Cronenberg's superb new flick. EDIT: Already on HD DVD)

Not forgetting of course the rather sizeable back catalogues of both studios.

Let's face it, if they stick to their guns and remain as they are, don't you honestly think that with a Toshiba HD DVD player at around $149.00 (including seven free movies) more than a few people who were/are hovering will be tempted to go dual format?

It could very well be far from the end of HD DVD or indeed the format war.

They seem a long way off, and anything could happen before then. But this.....

Ghost Town (Ricky Gervais' Ghostbusters style comedy)

Is very interesting as a seperate topic.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
If Universal and Paramount stand firm and remain HD DVD exclusive we could have an interesting turn of events later in the year. Remember how many Blu Ray people (note, people, not fanboys) went format neutral purely to get their hands on Paramount titles (Transformers in particular)?

Totally correct stress of the definition.

Fanboys wouldn't buy the other format - that's just for people who love film.

You are right, of course. And the big thing in Paramount/Universal's favour is that they don't have to jump.

With the market being so small they stand to lose next-to-nothing by staying HD DVD exclusive.

If they try to stay put, but the high def market takes off towards the end of the year, they can switch in early '09, and people who've been waiting for their films on BD will just buy them then.

Steve W

You are right, of course. And the big thing in Paramount/Universal's favour is that they don't have to jump.

With the market being so small they stand to lose next-to-nothing by staying HD DVD exclusive.

If they try to stay put, but the high def market takes off towards the end of the year, they can switch in early '09, and people who've been waiting for their films on BD will just buy them then.

Steve W

They can go neutral as well.... Neutral pays the most money.

Ger

A bit off topic, but is Jurassic Park IV coming out? Who (director) is making it?

micks_address

What annoys me about the whole format war is that some of these titles even though they are paramount/universal are distributed by warner here.. such as beowulf.. hellyboy is on blue ray - is its sequel going to be hd dvd only?

it causes complete confusion..

then you have the exceptions for directors who arent included in the deals..

i cant see it continuing beyond this year.. before the summer is upon us i'd say we will have all studios releasing on blue ray.. and it will be an as is situation with hd dvd..

Well take a look at some of the tiltes Paramount and Universal have in their recent/upcoming cinema release schedule for 2007/2008:

Cloverfield
Iron Man
Star Trek (11)
The Scorpion King: Rise of the Akkadian
Jurassic Park IV
Creature from the Black Lagoon
(Remake)
The Incredible Hulk
The Incredible Shrinking Man
(Remake)
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Death Race
Bee Movie
Beowulf
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
(Burton / Depp!!!)
World War Z (J. Michael Straczynski's Science Fiction opus)
When Worlds Collide (Remake)
The Warriors (Remake)
Ant Man (Marvel Comics adaptation)
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Ghost Town
(Rick Gervais' Ghostbusters style comedy)

These are just the high concept action/fantasy/horror/SF titles that have the big appeal to the home cinema enthusiasts. There are some pretty big "grown up" movies too:

American Gangster
Charlie Wilson's War
(This years big multiple Golden Globe/Oscar contender)
Frost/Nixon
The Untouchables 2: Capone Rising

Eastern Promise (Cronenberg's superb new flick. EDIT: Already on HD DVD)

Not forgetting of course the rather sizeable back catalogues of both studios.

Let's face it, if they stick to their guns and remain as they are, don't you honestly think that with a Toshiba HD DVD player at around $149.00 (including seven free movies) more than a few people who were/are hovering will be tempted to go dual format?

It could very well be far from the end of HD DVD or indeed the format war.

7hil

"Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group"

I think this is a vital point. Because of this I don't think Universal is going to switch to Blu-ray until the last one to leave HD-DVD asks Universal if they can turn the lights off. In other words, I think for Ken it will be a cold day in hell before Universal switches.

micks_address

Its a fair point about the market size Steve, but if Paramount and Universal want a HD disk market to materialise it might be in their best interest to start releasing now on Blue Ray. There's no doubt that there is momentum there for the format with Warners switch..

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio