Universal DVD-Video/DVD-Audio/SACD multichannel player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MarkB, Oct 16, 2001.

1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The new Pioneer DV-747A is a universal high end player that can spin DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and SACD all in multichannel.
    All we need now is recording capability!
    Mark

2. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or less formats... :D

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or some decent SACD/DVDA software!

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Brilliant - I want one (if it's any good that is). BUT why the bl**dy hell hasn't it got a headphone socket? In fact, why have hardly any DVD players got headphone sockets? It's really annoying - I've just bought a really classy pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD600) and now I'm going to have to spend another £150 or so on a headphone amp. :mad:

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The "pie'n'mash" certainly looks good but I'm holding out for a universal DENON player. I might be waiting a long time…
    Mark

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Reiner, I've got a Tag processor so no headphone socket there I'm afraid (they couldn't even manage a phono input so I had to buy a Project phono stage for my Rega P3). Honestly, it's enough to make me want to trade in the Tag/Rotel combo and get a "phono stage and headphone socket-equiped" Denon AV1SE - but then again, maybe not.

Actually I don't think it would cost the manufacturers much to put headphone sockets on DVD players - maybe like £10 or £15. Having said that, the sound quality of a stand-alone £150 headphone amp (which has a separate power supply) will be vastly superior to that fed out of an integrated headphone output.

And, if anyone is wondering why I've suddenly bought a pair of headphones, let's just say the patter of tiny feet in mid Feb next year may put pay to late night high-ish volume listening via traditional methods.

As for the headphones themselves, all I can say is that they (Sennheiser HD600) are stunning - even being driven by my Sony minidisc walkman (which hasn't got the power to drive them properly) I've heard detail on tracks that I never knew was there and yet the treble is so, so smooth. Their frequency response is somthing like 16Hz to 33KHz +/- 3db and, best of all, although they retail at £250, I picked them up for £99.95 at Richer Sounds. Bargain!

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even the lowly £99 Acoustic Solutions DVD-521 has a front headphone socket and volume control. :D

8. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Mark, you may not have to wait too long if you don't mind spending big bucks. Over on the AV Forums they are discussing the new Denon DVD-A1 which has Progressive scan, DVD Audio and now they have found a web site mentioning it has SACD too. Obviously this is not yet set in stone, but if others can do it, why not Denon. After all, they are calling it their flagship. Price, unfortunately is rumoured to be just over or around £2000, but I'm still getting one!

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Matt, why don't you use the headphone out from the amp? Or doesn't that have one either ...

Your last sentence probably explains why there is none (though it might not necessarily cost GBP150 but even the big ones are saving pennies ...).

10. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Tim,
    I've heard quite a lot about the A1, I thought it was going to be a purist DVD-V/DVD-A machine but if they cram multichannel SACD in too I'm there.
    Mark

[ 22-10-2001: Message edited by: MarkB ]

11. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  12. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: