• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Universal Dock

Happytab

Standard Member
I have just had a Universal Dock Kit delivered - anyone else got one - I don't want to open it up and test it because I am scared :suicide:

Happytab

Standard Member
Especially as I have just discovered that Kensington have a new dock out with picture/video for £15 less (everyhting in the box).

Dagnammit :mad:

kevH

Established Member
Ive got one happy and use it with both the Ipod Video 60gb and a Nano works perfectly fine. pics video and music with the 60GB and music only with the Nano.:smashin:

Happytab

Standard Member
kevH said:
Ive got one happy and use it with both the Ipod Video 60gb and a Nano works perfectly fine. pics video and music with the 60GB and music only with the Nano.:smashin:
Just a quick question as I wont get home to try it for a while - how long is the AV cable - is it long enough ?

Happytab

Standard Member
Ok so I opened it up and everything works fine - well everything but one thing. Why is it that things are so crappily designed these days. Its not as if they are dirt cheap - they are expensively badly designed.

What am I talking about - Let me explain - I had two things delivered this week, the first a silicone case for my ipod (bad design means without one it will scratch to buggery). The only problem with the case is that the screan protector moves about which would probably scratch the ipod it was trying to protect had I not left the plastic cover it came with on.

The second was the universal dock connection kit - all fine with this apart from one thing - I can't get the stupid ipod in the stupid dock with the stupid silicone case on it :thumbsdow

So now I have an expensive dock with an expensive ipod sitting in it held in place by something fairly well designed and cheap - blue tac !!

What a load of bollards.

Questions for any other dock owners out there - how did you solve this problem? Also when you dock an ipod the volume goes to maximum - what happens when you undock it? Does it return to the original volume or am I going to forget and blow my ear drums next time I use it undocked ?

Cheers all - I am off to thrash a granny smith so I can feel like I am getting my own back on apple.

M

mattals

Is this the Kensington 500 kit you have purchased for the 5th gen ipod !! what is the sound quality like, ive been having trouble with apple dock dont find the sound quality that good !! yeh my volume goes to max too is that correct !!

extremelydodgy

Established Member
Buy a lower profile skin so you can dock it... eg Invisibleshield. Alternatively, remove the spacer on the dock but be careful when docking. No dock on this planet with the iPod or any other player allows docking with aftermarket cases. How would you account for every single case out there? Not really possible, at least not for the relatively low cost that the Apple dock retails for. I don't really use the dock although I have a couple lying around. Rather interesting internals... certainly the first dock I've seen from any manufacturer with a built-in codec. I suggest the skin + something like a Contour Showcase which is easily/repeatedly removable if you're worried about scratching up the iPod and need docking capabilities as well as impact resistance.

The volume is maxed only while the iPod is in the dock.

M

mattals

Has any one used the Kensington 500 dock yet... Or in any ones views what is the best dock to buy with a 5th gen ipod !!! Would like some of your views please , am i going to benifit buy buying a more expensive dock !!!

kevH

Established Member
Similar vain to Extremely i have the Universal dock and use mine with an Ipod Video 60Gb with Agent 18 hard plastic case, the Ipod docks well with the adaptor removed and the Ipod with the case on. This saves removing it everytime you dock. Seems to fit fairly snugly and im pleased with the results.:smashin:

Just as a side issue i can adjust the volume both with my hifi remote and the scroll wheel on the Ipod. Seems to work best with Ipod set to max and volume adjustment from the hifi remote or is that just my ears !!!

Happy extremely is right they couldnt supply a dock to fit every ipod plus a case you just got the wrong case !!:D Get the Agent 18 with a screen film protector and dock away. Made me laff you got a £300 Ipod, a £20 case ,£20 av cable and £25 dock and its all held together with blu tack *** LOL :rotfl: :rotfl:

You didnt per chance use the sticky back plastic an washing up bottle too did you? You are in line for a Blue Peter badge !! :smashin:

Happytab

Standard Member
Well I realise that apple can't make adaptors to fit every case but come on help me out here a little. They could have an adaptors with no side restriction. If it was only a depth issue one of the other adaptors supplied with the dock would fit. Another alternative is they could have a bar for the ipod to lean back against that would be adjustable and remove the need for adaptors at all.

Anyway - I am over my paddy now - Just a note about the performance of the ipod through the dock - flippin excellent - no complaints at all - loving it. If anyone has a problem with the way there ipod sounds through a universal dock drop me a mail and I will sell you my solution which involves blue tac, sticky backed plastic and an old toilet paper holder.

M

mattals

please sell me your soloution lol... are you playing it through your hifi !! what is your trick !!

kevH

Established Member
Mattals mine doesnt seem to go to max when docked havent really done a test all i know is i can adjust the volume with either the hifi or ipod. I'll double check that when its first docked the volume goes to max !!

M

mattals

hi Kev

Are you getting good sound quality through the dock... are you playing through your hifi !!!

kevH

Established Member
Sure am Mattals most in the household cant tell the difference between the Ipod playing or Cd thro the same hifi set up. All my tracks are ripped at 256 or 320 and the dock works perfectly well , i have no complaints.

Admittedly i have a higher end hifi system (alledgedly) well the cost says i have LOL :D

I always maintain that ultimately its YOUR ears that decide not someone elses opinion and always advocate trialling gear first to see what suits your needs, your ears and your wallet !! I bought 4 Dap players over a 3 month period tried them listened to them and decided on the Ipod 60GB as my player of choice for many reasons not just sound quality. All the Sony/Ipod arguing or shall we call it debate pales into insignificance when you can improve the overall sound tremendously of either in so many other ways like the phones you choose or by using a headphone amp as i do. Theres also the rate at which you rip your CD's to my ears 320 sounds like a CD to me, so many here slag or praise various Dap's for SQ yet ive seen bitrates of 64 and 128 mentioned when testing. There are so many variables when judging so i take most opinions here with a pinch of salt apart from the select few here who ( it becomes obvious who they are) offer comparisons / recommendations.

Happytab

Standard Member
I have my dock connected to a fairly cheap surround sound system. Most of my music is ripped at 192 mp3 and it still sounds good to me uneducated ears.

My volume definately goes to max when docking - just worries me that I will burst my eardrums when I forget this and play it through the headphones :rolleyes:

kevH

Established Member
The volume is maxed only while the iPod is in the dock.

Dodgy's words mate , just put one ear phone in then youll only blow one ear drum and you'll still have another :rotfl:

M

mattals

Not sounding dim, How do i rip in 256 or 320 or how do i check what i have ripped in on my present collection !! Is this something i do i itunes ....

kevH

Established Member
In Itunes Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Importing>Setting>Custom then adjust to your preferred bitrate to rip at.

In your itunes library to check the bitrate of an individual track highlight the song right click and "get info" tells you all you need to know about the track etc etc

M

mattals

Kevh thanks very much for your help !!! you say 320 is the best comparison to CD !!

kevH

Established Member
Best comparison to CD is Apple lossless but its just takes so much harddrive space up. Ive used 256/320 as a compromise on SQ and space and to my ears i cant tell the difference after experimenting with lossless. Just have a go yourself rip at various rates and have a listen see what you think using "your" gear ie phones hifi etc etc .:smashin:

M

mattals

is there a way off changing the bit rate on my library without re-ripping them all again !!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
You will not gain any increase in quality by changing the bitrate of stuff you have already ripped, the only way would be to redo them again. The quality has already been lost when you rip at lower bitrates and so can never be got back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom