Universal Agmented 100th Aniversary Editions ?

raduv1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I was in my local Asda last week and decided to pick up a few films and at seven quid a pop for a blu why not .

I picked up Back to the Future, Jurrasic Park and Gladiator having watched the first two I have a question ?

Has the aspect ratio changed for these ? I seem to remember my DVDs as black bars but so far not getting this ! You guys will know better than me but I will say I was impressed with BTTF and Jurassic Park looks great and sounds awsome .

Hope I get the same srom Gladiator?

I was in my local Asda last week and decided to pick up a few films and at seven quid a pop for a blu why not .

I picked up Back to the Future, Jurrasic Park and Gladiator having watched the first two I have a question ?

Has the aspect ratio changed for these ? I seem to remember my DVDs as black bars but so far not getting this ! You guys will know better than me but I will say I was impressed with BTTF and Jurassic Park looks great and sounds awsome .

Hope I get the same srom Gladiator?

'Back To The Future' and 'Jurassic Park' (both 1.85:1 aspect ratio) would have thick black bars top and bottom if you watched them on an older 4:3 'square' tv...on your 16x9 Panasonic they should only have tiny blacks bars top and bottom when you watch them...a few millimeters thick. Only 1.78:1 material has zero black bars on a standard 16x9 tv like yours.
Gladiator (ratio 2.35:1) on the other hand will definetely have thicker black bars on your Panasonic. This is assuming you have set your tv up properly. :lesson:

'Back To The Future' and 'Jurassic Park' (both 1.85:1 aspect ratio) would have thick black bars top and bottom if you watched them on an older 4:3 'square' tv...on your 16x9 Panasonic they should only have tiny blacks bars top and bottom when you watch them...a few millimeters thick. Only 1.78:1 material has zero black bars on a standard 16x9 tv like yours.
Gladiator (ratio 2.35:1) on the other hand will definetely have thicker black bars on your Panasonic. This is assuming you have set your tv up properly. :lesson:

Totally set up correctly on blu ray player and plasma which is why it came as somewhat of a surprise on the first two. Mist say I've been well impressed with the first two especially JP pic and sound and for £7 a pop not bad for great movies.

Not watched Gladiator yet but wi give the heads up on this as both myself and the wife were surprised with the first two.

Augmented means increased or made larger.So no black bars hence a bigger picture on the screen.

Last edited:
Eh? I just thought the only augmented thing about them was some flashy thing the covers do with iPhone & android apps?

Augmented means increased or made larger.So no black bars hence a bigger picture on the screen.
No, no, no.
All Augmented Reality Augmented reality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia means is that it has a special cover/slipcase. When you look at the cover using your iPhone/smart phone it shows a little AR thing on your phone screen
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...nniversary-uk-augmented-reality-editions.html

Has absolutely nothing to do with the discs (which remain the same as the previous releases).

Eh? I just thought the only augmented thing about them was some flashy thing the covers do with iPhone & android apps?

Same here though not tried it yet and I doubt I ever will .

It's a pretty dull gimmick, certainly not worth double dipping over. Just trying to convince myself it's worth getting JP, BTTF & blues brother. Good prices mind.

It's a pretty dull gimmick, certainly not worth double dipping over. Just trying to convince myself it's worth getting JP, BTTF & blues brother. Good prices mind.

Only reason I got em cos I didn't own them on blu already and they are a good price shoddy gimmick but great price for great movies.

raduv1 said:
Only reason I got em cos I didn't own them on blu already and they are a good price shoddy gimmick but great price for great movies.

That'll be my thinking too.

I dipped again on The Blues Brothers, because it no longer has that sodding 'Digital Copy' notice imposed on the artwork. Sad, but true.

rebel_scum said:
I dipped again on The Blues Brothers, because it no longer has that sodding 'Digital Copy' notice imposed on the artwork. Sad, but true.

Instead you get some lame smartphone gimmick. Win win?

So in this case augmented means added to. So you get an app, whoopee.

Last edited:
So in this case augmented means added to. So you get an app, whoopee.

You are getting a decent price for some good blu ray though and that's all that matters to me . The app can go spit and I never double dip well not outa the bedroom ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom