• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Unintentionally turning laptop on...

tikigod19

Established Member
Hi all my harmony 555 keeps turning my hp pavilion laptop on.

Is there any way to set it to ignore this device or anything like that?

logiciel

You can set its power-on command to be "none".
It would be better to look into the activities to find what's causing the problem.

tikigod19

Established Member
Ok so I add the laptop as a device and then set power on to none? The activity that turns it on is 'watch tv' would I still need to look into this activity in more detail?

logiciel

Yes, both correct - run Review Settings for the activity.

tikigod19

Established Member
there was no option for the power on command after adding the HP laptop. I also reviewed the watch tv action and it doesnt mention any devices other than those that are needed to 'watch tv'

logiciel

The location for changing the power on and off commands is Devices> Settings> Adjust Power.
As the startup procedure doesn't include the device to be powered on then the Harmony can't send any power command to it.

tikigod19

Established Member
The only options I get there are leave on all the time, turn off when not in use, there are no power buttons on the remote for laptop.

I was expecting a drop down for power to set to no action?

Appreciate your continued help. Do you work for logitech?!

logiciel

What you were expecting is exactly what you should be presented with.
You have been to the page "Do you want to leave the device on all the time" and the second page after that is "Which command turns your device on or off" with the second option being to select the command from a dropdown list on which the first entry is "none". Let me know if that page does not appear.
No, I have nothing to do with Logitech and the name is a coincidence. It's another word for "computer".

nvingo

Distinguished Member
It could be that the computer responds when it shouldn't?
My father's Acer laptop doesn't power on by remote, but it does "cancel" the screensaver when a button on the Samsung TV remote is pressed.

tikigod19

Established Member
i found the settings eventually, didnt know I needed to proceed past that page. it was actually a few pages into that menu.

I have set it to no action and also put some black electrical tape over the infra red port on the laptop... together that should have sorted the issue!

logiciel

Yes, the number of page options at Adjust Power for different devices may vary according to their capabilities.
As you have set the Harmony to send no command to that device the tape would only be blocking IR from some other source. :)

tikigod19

Established Member
Logicel master of all things logitech.. My hard drive always turns on fine when I click watch a movie but then when I'm finished and I choose watch tv or even all of it's the only thing that stays on.

When I go to help it will eventually turn off but it's getting frustrating. Where in the software would I need to go to rectify this?

Thanks a lot

logiciel

:thumbsup:
The same place as before, this time for the Power-Off Command. You don't want that as "none".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom