1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unintended Side-Busters

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by plasmattack, Jan 17, 2003.

1. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone come up with a celluloid moment that was intended to be serious but turned out to be exactly the opposite?

My (perhaps controversial) "starters for ten" are:

1) Hannibal: that moment where Ray Liotta's skull cap gets removed. My girlfriend and I were rolling in the aisles at that one (lets face it, laughter was the only sane reaction).

2) Hellraiser: when that rubberised entity extracts itself from the floorboards. Comic genius IMO.

2. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Signs - The whole film

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not a movie but when that guy turned up in the shower in dallas after he was dead for a year so the whole year of episodes was supposed to be a dream
    i long while ago but i still remember laughing about it

4. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a documentary on sometime ago about Narcolepsy (where people can't stop falling asleep), not the Horizon one that was on last night. And I don't think having this condition is funny but...

some narcolepsy sufferers had setup a self help group and were filmed in one of their meetings, they have to have at least 3 people taking minutes because they all keep falling asleep, it was absolutely hilarious as one person is talking and falls asleep mid sentence and everyones heads dropping at various points. I was in tears:D :D :D

And in the Horizon programme last night with the clip of the puppies with Narcolepsy, one minute running full pelt and within a second down like a ton of bricks asleep, again I was in tears.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For narcolepsy humour as well as a cracking read about all sorts of things, read Jonathan Coe's novel, "The House of Sleep". Hilarious and often quite moving.

I laughed like a hyena at the hot dog "incident" in Sleepers. I don't think I was supposed to :D

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be chastised for being a bit close to the bone here so I apologise beforehand if I cause offence.

Spirit - Stallion Of The Cimarron - At the start of the film it shows a newborn horse trying to get to grips with the new surroundings. The foul is obviously thirsty and goes to an adult horse (the film does not make it clear if this is a male or female horse) and sticks his little head between the adult horse's legs. The adult horse whips his/her head round in shock at this invasion of privacy, you then see the foul looking up at the adult horse with a creamy white substance all over it's mouth and what can only be described as a sexy look in it's eye :eek:

Well I've shown the said scene to about 8 people now and it just creases everyone up, surely the director should/could have been a little less naive :rolleyes:

7. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What about in TTT, where Aragorn's horse appears just after he survives the river. It looks like he starts to get frisky with it, as his hand moves across it's body.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The parasailing bit in Bond Die Another Day - burst out laughing at the cinema because it was so rediculous with perhaps the worst SFX I've ever seen.

Also, watching Vertical Limit on Sky last night:

**SPOILER BELOW**

the bit at the start where Chris O' Donnel cuts his dad loose on the rock climb. The next scene we see is the dad landing like a ton of bricks on the ground - halarius.

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I was beginning to think I was the only perv in here who sees things others don't :D

10. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the Die Hard films (Three, I think): there's some kind of truck chase through a huge, under-construction water main. As I recall, Bruce Willis narrowly avoids death when he gets propelled upwards at great speed through a manhole cover. Completely ridiculous.

Actually, I have a view that such stunts are included in the knowledge that the audience will say, "That's nonsense". And yet, the audience says nothing about the rest of the film, even though it's equally nonsensical. The point being that the audience is forced, tacitly, to accept mildly unbelievable action.

11. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tom hanks talking to a volley ball in castaway.

not really appropriate to this thread but thought of it anyway:
    in police squad, leslie neilson and priscilla presley coming out of the cinema in fits of laughter after watching platoon!

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *Spiler Alert For "We Were Soldiers"*

When Madeline Stowe takes the condolence letter to her friend, the friend opens the door and sees tears in Stowe's eyes, the friend says "Oh god it's for you" or similar but it's infact for the friend. Me and my brother burst out laughing in the actual cinema during this scene so you can imagine the glares we got :blush: :D

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that bit is flipping brilliant i was gob-smacked at first then ****ed myself laughing. brilliant original way of ending the scene as well.

14. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The bit in Speed where Reeves turns to Bullock and says "you were amazing" or something like that. Had me in creases. :D

MuFu.

15. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh, and whenever Pincess Leia uses a gun in any of the Star Wars films and has a mad blinking frenzy/spaz attack. Absolutely hilarious. :)

MuFu.

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arnie trying to act in End Of Days, especially the bit where he says "I wasn't thee-err, wasn't ###kin thee-err" :D

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,372
    Not a film but..
    Emmerdale some years ago when the plane crashed and there were "dead sheep" lying all over the place with 4 legs pointing stiffly up in the air. With all the fires burning I'm amazed that the cast didn't go up in flames too as they were all so wooden :D

18. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leslie Ashes lips.

19. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Agreed :D

20. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the 1st 'Nightmare On Elm Street' when the mother of the female interest steps out onto the patio and says "...there's a jessy on the phone for you"

21. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    the whole of XXX

22. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Possible spoilers for titanic and final destination. Not that titanic needs spoiling, load of old toss that it is. And final destination, well its all a bit predictable innit?

Titanic where the guy falls off the back and bounces off the propeller. Oh and now I think of it, when kate winslet says 'I'll never let go' then drops leonardo into the depths of the atlantic. Can't help but shout 'doh!' whenever i see that, thankfully watching titanic is a very rare experience for me.
    Millions of others in other films I'm sure. I'll laugh at anything. When the person gets hit by the bus in final destination for example... "its funny because its not happening to me!!!"

23. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    In Attack Of The Clones, when Anakin is dreaming, he looks like he is shaking hands with the guv'nor of love!!

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that was intentional :p

25. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh! Was it!? I thought it was an "Unintended Side-Buster" this side of the pond. :confused: