1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninspiring

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jameslindsey, May 21, 2003.

1. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I love the way my HiFi sounds with DVD but recently I have been less that inspired by CD playback. CDs just seem to lack that little something extra that is difficult to put my finger on.
    I was thinking or changing my amp or DVD player as they are getting a little ancient so wonder if anyone has some ideas for upgrades.

Current system Rogers LS33 front speakers with twin AB1 passive subwoofers, CS33 centre speaker and LS1 surrounds. Yamaha DSPA592 Surround amp used as a power amp only with a Technics SHAC300 AC3/stereo DAC connected to a Panasonic A300 DVD player. AC3 processor run in stereo mode whilst listening to CDs (Obviously)

2. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    PS been considering the Denon AVR3802 as an amp replacement but other threads suggest stereo audio performance is lacking.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    What's your budget?

4. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    As little as possible probably £500-600 or so intotal for amp or DVD or both together.

5. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am not familiare with the DAC or your speakers but I found that upgrading the CD player (to an Arcam CD72) hadthe most impact on the music performance of my system. But the CD72 would eat most of your budget.

I also listened to the Rotel 02 range which was excellent for the money, just in your budget I belive.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I too bought a CD72+ and noticed a major improvement in cd playback even through my AVR3802. I went a little bit further and bought the arcam int. amp as well which although improved again was not as noticable as replacing/buying the cdp.
    My most noticable upgrade recently though was my speakers from B&W 600 ser3 speakers to the Linns in my sig. (Still breaking them in only another 200 hrs to go or so i'm told)
    If your happy with your movie playback I'd recomend you just buy a good CDP within your budget and get an integrated amp if needs be and when funds are available.
    I'm suprised no ones advised you buy a seperate DAC - I do not know owt about them so can't realy comment.

good luck:smashin:

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    The Arcam AVR200 is surprisingly musical for its price.

8. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James, I was in your position about six months ago, and am happy that I took advice about buying both a stereo amp and a dedicated CD source for playing music.

9. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for everyones help. I'm going to borrow a Sony 1070 digital amp to see if this helps otherwise it looks like a new CD player.