Unimpressed with Sony 40W2000

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Speakerbox, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Speakerbox

Speakerbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently took the plunge into (really) big screen viewing and got one of these as recommended by the dealer, loads of awards etc etc. etc.

What a dissapointment this screen was! the Freeview picture was, frankly, awful in comparison to my old Pana 32" LCD - even after extensive tweaking (thanks AV Forum members) which at least made the broadcast picture 'acceptable', the picture was fuzzy with off-balance colour and could only really be happilly viewed from about 4m away - and my lounge isn't that big!!!

I have now swopped this TV for a Pana 37" 70 series Plasma which, while I've lost a little (and I mean a little) detail on HD, the usability and especially the broadcast picture on this TV spanks the pants of the Sony. The picture is watchable from 2m away even on the poorest Freeview channels.

Comments?

2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Agree with you personally.In the shop I saw it was playing analogue and was too awful

3. davejm

davejm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A large higher resolution set (the Sony is 1080p) is going to show up the flaws in standard def broadcasts a lot more than a smaller and lower resolution set like your old LCD and new Plasma. It needs to do plenty more upscaling, and as you said, you need to sit further away from screen to get away from these flaws.

The Sony gets good reviews because it's the current leader in it's class, and by all accounts handles SD really well when put against it's peers (Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba etc). That said, many people still prefer a Plasma or a 720p LCD due to the reasons outlined above, so it's a subjective issue everytime. It pays to view a load of TV's before you decide what to go for, as everyone has different tastes and preferences.

As long as you're happy with your choice, then excellent. The Panasonic Plasma's are great from what I hear, so you should have the benefits of superior picture with SD stuff than many LCD owners. As you say, you do lose some HD detail, but if you're happy with the compromise then you've done the right thing.

4. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep, unfortunately the big flaw with all these modern 1080p sets is that they look fantastic for HD (their native resolution), but they have rubbish scaler chips. If you want to watch SD on a 1920x1080 resolution, you need a decent external scaler to avoid viewing a blown-up turkey.

That said, you have to accept that standard definition (especially Freeview with its lower compression bitrate) is never going to look that great. All these years people have been used to that poor quality being masked by low-resolution TVs. Then suddenly we go high definition and everyone wonders why a crap low-def signal looks awful!

Perhaps they should invent a scaler for standard definition that emulates the (fuzzy) look of an old TV? :rotfl:

5. Speakerbox

Speakerbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure a lot of what you say is correct. I would say however that both the 37" & 42" Panasonics have such good colour balance picture processing etc. you can get rid of most of the blocking/fuzzy edges/pixelation etc.

The X-tra factor on ITV2 still looks rubbish due to the Freeview compression, but it's still the funniest prog on TV so I don't care!!! :rotfl:

6. stevogums

stevogums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    One of the reasons i got rid of my W for a D...
    Also had clouding issue ,which didnt help.
    D is so much nicer for SD..