unimpressed with LCD, is screen burn still a problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by azzo, Sep 15, 2007.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, I have looked and looked at LCDs for a long while, none of the current crop seem to handle SD very well. Been looking at the 37px70 plasma and it looks real nice, (as do other plasmas) BUT, my children watch a lot of kids TV all with logos and can pause the TV for an hour without a seconds thought. So my question is, is screen burn still a problem. Oh, and I will be watch sky+ and that's about it.
    thanks for looking
    azzo

2. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I a word "Yes".

Not like it used to be, but for an hour with the bright colours of CBBC or something then it will leave a ghost over time.

Now that ghost will probably go with time.

I have a plasma myself and would never consider an LCD, but they are not there to be abused.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    sorry title is wrong should read - unimpressed with LCD
    :oops:
    [mod: fixed ;) ]
    THis is what I thought - have you seen the disney channel logo - it is huge, and they can sit at that for an hour or 2 easy. Sometimes, they watch it - put it on pause then come back to it after an hour!
    So am I back to LCDs? I haven't seen a decent set at 9 ft viewing that comes close to my CRT
    azzo

4. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cant you get a cheap (old crt or something) TV for the kids and a nice one for proper viewing?

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, I could do that - trouble is, I already baught a cheap LCD JUST for my 360, which is Great BTW (an aoc 32") But, I really would like just one TV in the lounge and am trying to limit the kids viewing habits.
    I want a single solution so we can all use it. I will probably end up keeping my 28" JVC 100hz TV as I can't fault the TV for SKY+, it's just big screen movie action it is lacking - something I was hoping a Plasma could provide.
    Thanks for your response.
    azzo

6. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    With all plasmas as long as you run the tvs in for the first 200 hrs after that you aint got to worry about screen burn.

If you have the cash get either Panasonic or Pioneer as these are the best.

7. ozzzy189

ozzzy189

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    No probs with pio 508xd, using d65 settings- lovely !

8. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So keeping a logo channel on pause for 2 hours tops is not going to be a problem? Was really wanting a 37" due to my viewing distance and requirements (mostly sky+) and maybe a movie at the weekends. I don't want to spend more than a 1K. Which are the best for screen burn and noise (i.e. fans)
    I presume only panasonic make 37" plasmas now anyhow.
    azzo

9. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,178
  10. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    reevesy good find, that's a good price, I like the picture of the set (reminds me of good old fashioned CRT) still a little worried of screen burn.
    azzo

11. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    I have a 37PD60 the sd version of the previous generation pannys.

My tv is often left on the disney channel for hours on end and after 18 months of ownership I have no screenburn.

You do get retention at times which can scare the living daylights out of you sometimes, mine seems most prone to this with the colour red, I had 'strawberry shortcake' written across the centre of the screen once after a dvd was left on the menu screen for a couple of hours, but it faded after 10 minutes.

I think though this is one where if you know you will worry about it then whether it is likely or not it will be in the back of your mind and may spoil your enjoyment of the tv, I was like this for the first 6 months but now I don't worry about it at all

12. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    jonstone, very well put. I am unsure what will disappoint more, the quality of opting for a 37 LCD or the worry of screen burn on a plasma.
    I am half way between each at the moment.
    I may wait to wee the new pany offering on the LCD front and then decide - although I am impressed with the 37 pany image (on SD of course)
    I wish I could just make up my mind - this is driving me nuts.
    azzo

13. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    One or two hours will produce temporary image retention - definitely will go away if you watch something else (or put the tv on whitescreen or snow). Not to worry about. Now if you leave that Disney logo on overnight, that *might* cause problems on a Pioneer - they're said to be more susceptible than Panasonics. But if the picture is just frozen (paused), panasonics will go into screen saver mode. :thumbsup:

LCD's inferior picture is something you'll have with you 24/7/365 though.

That said, there are two LCDs that you may want to look at: Sony 40D3000 - has a great reputation overall, and especially for SD, and has 100hz/MotionFlow/24p; and the new Panasonic TH37LZD70, full HD, which will also have 100hz and the 32" versions are getting a lot of praise. The Sony is being discontinued after this month, so people are rushing to get one. . .

CHFels

14. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    CHFels, I have seen the sonys, they are OK, but it's the pixelated unnatural pictures of LCD in general that I have taken a dislike to - oh and 40" at my viewing (about 9ft) I think is too large for day to day viewing. I will try and hold out to view the Panasonic (I like Panasonic gear for no logical reason)
    Intersting to know that they go into screen saver if left on a static image (which is obviously a concern)
    The 37" panasonic has been out over 6 months now - Is there something new on the horizon (I know there is ALWAYS something new) But plasmas are a dieing breed these days - the fact that even Panasonic are moving towards LCD at this size
    Anyway, I am making small talk.
    Azzo

15. Sionic

Sionic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Usually the channel logos goes away doing commercial brakes anyways, so you are properly safe when the kids are watching their shows. Ooops! Just noticed the pause part... Just hide the remote! :)

When I first got my Pioneer Plasma tv, I was playing Gods of War and the phone rang. When I came back after 10 min. the screen displayed "You Are Dead!" in bright red. It did burn into the screen but luckily went away very quickly again.

As jetinder mentions the plasmas get less sensitive over time too...

You could also consider LCOS RPTVs as they seem to have improved and are fairly cheap compare to the bigger plasmas tvs.

16. nickthegreat

nickthegreat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the px70 is very unimpressive in conjunction with a 360. green ghosting galore - it was horrible. go for the sammy.

17. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    That might be relevant if the OP hadn't said he was using Sky and that was about it. And the green ghosting thing seems to be a very personal thing, I can see it (but don't care), others can't see it, some like you can't stand it.

Personally I think a 40" or 42" at 9' is fine, but that 37PX70 is a bargain at 699.

And I never get any rentention whatever and we have logo channels including kids stuff on for hours (and I run a load of console stuff too)

18. thms

thms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. thms

thms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Azzo,
    I was talking about the *new*, 37" Panasonic LCD - full HD and styled similar to the 42PZ70 (i.e. elegant, but too wide for the screen-size imho!) It's not in stores yet, but soon . . .
    don't agree that plasmas are a dying breed - witness the new Pioneers that are winning every award in sight, and the PZ70 that's going to sell like crazy for the rest of this year. Pana has switched to LCD for the 37" size because they are plumping for Full-HD (yes, a marketing ploy), and you can't make Full-HD @ 37" in plasma.

Best of luck, I understand the feeling of not knowing what the hell to buy!

CHFels

21. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Never have I read so much rubbish in my entire life. I have had two Panny Plasmas over the last three years so know a little about their performance. 1. I have never run in a Panny Plasma - biggest urban myth on the planet - you do not need to run in a modern Plasma. 2. You say buy the Sammy, why? Panasonic are streets ahead of the opposition with the exception of the Pios when it comes to Plasma. 3. Screen burn - I've heard so much rubbish talked about screen burn I've actually tried to reproduce it on purpose, result - nothing not even image retention no matter how hard I tried. It really is a true saying that a little knowledge is dangerous.

22. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Completely agree with you Faust! Never did a running in period for my 42PX70. As long as you are careful with your settings and get rid of dynamic mode for the first few weeks it will be fine. I have 4 boys (between 2 and 12) who fight for control of my Sky HD flicker and have anything from Cartoon Network to Disney to CBloodybeebies on for hours and not once have I had an image retention problem or any sign of burn!:lesson:

23. Sionic

Sionic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Then I guess the new plasmas has improved a lot since I got mine a few years back. That's great news! Of the people I've talked to, burn-ins seems to be a big concern when buying plasmas and the reason why they mainly opt for LCDs. Using their PC's and Mac's on their TV's definitely also play a big part... Personally I prefer plasma but try to be honest of my experiences so they can make up their own minds. I would certainly be sad if I contributed to "Myths" and will therefore do a little research on the newer plasma tvs. ;)

24. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  25. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    CHFels, didn't realise the new new pannys came in 37" as well, guess it's because I couldn't see them in any shops. I guess I have to wait to compare the newest 37" panny plasmas and lcds!
    When I said plasmas are a dying breed, what I was trying to say is that most manufacturers are putting all of their efforts into LCD. I realise pioneer have a new bunch out which are suppose to be amazing, but they are more high-end, (don't think they go down to 37").
    I am not interested in 360 gaming as I have a cheap LCD in the spare room for this. All I want is to not be dissapointed when wathing SKY+ which is most of my viewing.
    Anyway, thanks for all of the posts
    azzo

26. brett174

brett174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to decide for more than 6 months now on what TV to get. I'm now looking at either the Panasonic 42PX70 Plasma or Panasonic 32LXD700 LCD. Every time I think I've decided on the LCD, I read a review or user opinion stating how they have poor black-level performance. As I like watching movies/ TV in the dark this is a major concern for me.

However, I do plan on watching quite a bit of SD material, as well as some gaming, and using it occasionally as a HTPC (which Ive read would all better on a LCD). I'm also not to keen on having to run a Plasma on reduced settings for 200 hours. As I probably only average 15 hours a week, it could be up to 3 months before I can run it at its full potential.

So after all this time, I'm still no closer to making a decision. It seems neither screen will totally suit what I want it for. Can someone sway me one way or the other? I just want to purchase the damn thing! Here are my viewing details:

Viewing Distance: 1.2-3m (I can easily move the couch to suit)
    Viewing Time: Mostly evening/night, say 70% of the time. Some daytime viewing. Room is quite open and has moderate light intake during the day.

Content:
    SD DVD's 30%
    SD TV Rips 40% (Currently I watch these through XBMC)
    Gaming 10% (XBOX 360)
    FTA TV 10%
    HD Movies and TV 10% (Through Computer)

Thanks

edit: I've posted this in both the Plasma and LCD forums to try and get an unbiased response :)

27. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a Pioneer 435xde and a Panasonic x70 and neither have ever had retention and certainly no screen burn!
    I'm sure the latest Pioneer will be a good buy but I have been very impressed for the price with the
    Panasonic.

28. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Brett174 please read my previous post - you do not I repeat do not need to run in a Plasma for even 1 hour - this is the biggest urban myth on the planet along with the tooth fairy and that chap in the Red Suit.

29. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Screen burn is not an issue on panasonics - I have had a 42ph8 panel for approx 8 months with about 3 hours a day of the disney channel (bright yellow mickey mouse shaped blob!) on the bottom corner and have NEVER had any screen burn or even retention.

I now have a 50PH9 panny and its just as good - however I did have 4 different pioneer 436xde screens and they had serious BURN problems. Cant comment on the newer range of pioneers but historically they haven been as resistant to burn as other brands.

Glad someone else has noticed that even the new range of super-duper LCDs are still not a patch on a decent plasma. Was in ASDA today admiring a sony bravia 32" LCD at about £600 - it was truely aweful - blurred,smeared and pixellated (it was running on its internal freeview tuner before LCD owners shout its been connected incorrectly)

30. Mylor1066

Mylor1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just remember that is 40" at 16:9, a lot of footage these days is a smaller wide-screen than that, so you won't always be viewing a 40" picture. Something to keep in mind.

-Mylor