Unified component output in DVD/VCR deck

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by slawrence, Jun 24, 2005.

1. slawrence

slawrence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a college AV technician, I've been recommending and installing the JVC HR-XVC37U DVD/VCR deck, mainly for its unique feature of "unified progressive scan output" :lease: for both the DVD and VHS VCR sections. Now it is discontinued and I find no replacement available.
    None of their higher priced models had this feature. Other models of other brands have an output common to both DVD and VHS only with composite video and RF only. JVC's earlier (and still current) HR-XVS44U does provide unified S-Video output, but component progressive scan for only DVD, like everything else I've seen. And it's more expensive due to its S-VHS recording and S-Video input capacity, but how useful is that to most of us today?
    My application is classroom connection to new TVs and projectors with component inputs. You might argue that VHS playback is not going to benefit much from S-Video or component connection. But my main reason for loving the unified single component conection is that I want best DVD display AND I have to make the input selection simple enough that even a PhD can operate it. The composite video output of other models requires two video connection schemes and user selection of two different display inputs. I know if you comprehend this discussion this is kindergarten stuff for you, but it is too complicated for classroom use by multiple users.
    Can anyone point me to another DVD/VCR model of any brand with the unified component output?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Maybe its time to move to a dvd recorder so you can copy all those vhs tapes to dvd?

Lets face it dvd/vhs combi's are getting to be fairly low end now and the pressure on pricing means extra processing circuitry like unified output goes out the window to save a few more pence on manufacturing costs. I suspect your previous model was probably designed by JVC but nowadays JVC are buying in a lot of models and rebranding them from chinese manufacturers.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it probably isnt the answer your'e looking for but I believe the JVC HR-XVC37U is still available in the US. I dont know what the implications conenction wise, power supply & formats etc, would be buying from a supplier there.

Geoff

4. slawrence

slawrence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is amazing how low end most of these combination decks are getting to be. I'll remind you that I'm in an academic environment, so our :lesson: media has to be legal copies, and we have to accomodate multiple users and single visit users, so copying the library and individual instructor VHS recordings is not feasible. We do already have several DVD recorder units of several different types. In our environment it is wiser to spend more on a sturdier unit that is also worth repairing to maintain universality and continuity of many setups over at least a few years. My guess is that JVC did not spend a lot of advertising $$ to market this capability of this one model, the average consumer is not savvy enough to appreciate why s/he should spend an extra $20 for unified progressive scan output, and the majority of mass market chain buyers and sales people are just as clueless and did not stock it. The engineering was correct, but lack of marketing education may have killed it.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0