UniFi Outdoor Mesh AP

D

Deleted member 24354

After weeks of being cable tied to an outdoor light I finally got round to mounting my outdoor AP. I just need some white electricians tape to go over the mini-trunk to tidy it up.

714F35C4-B7D4-4AF1-BD75-DC87264C6211.jpeg

912EE091-E8BF-4EB3-9309-6E2D6C12FFAB.jpeg

Bigger than I thought it was. Hoping I can get away with a Lite near the bifolds. If not I’m going to mount a Lite inside the shed. Thought you were going to mount a lite under the eaves.

I was. But price wise they they were the same and the outdoor is IP rated plus for me I like to own and play with things I recommend to other people. It’s easier to understand their pros and cons.

What sort of distance do you think you’ll get off of this Mushii?

I did quite a lot of reading around the deployment of these. Using stock aerials, line of sight, the general consensus is around 50m for a good signal. So 50m in a circle in all directions. If you use directional aerials, double that but in an arc. 15m from the AP at the top of my garden and it’s still full signal. I only really bought it for my patio area which is my dead spot for WiFi due to radiators inside blocking the signal where I sit. Which meant I couldn’t use HEOS on my amp to control my patio speakers. First world problems I know.

It’s also worth noting that the recommendation for the aerials is rabbit ears at 45 degrees and not straight up. I know some people have said that this a marketing thing by Ubnt but their tech support also recommend them like this. I am not an expert in radio signal propagation from aerials so I will take it as read.

looks good, I did similar last year, my sky dish is up high at the rear of my house, so I attached mine to there, its been faultless ever since - my garden is only 30m long, but I get full signal all the way to the end.

Need to get my hands on one of these, they seem spot on.

Interesting placement. Why did you chose such a prominent position, rather than trying to hide it a little, or away from that nice light? Not a criticism a such, each their own. Just wondering if it was a functional or aesthetic choice?

I personally don’t mind how it looks.
9932EAD4-5C96-4DE6-8FAD-2E4EAA25B49E.jpeg

If you look at the aesthetic of the rear of my house, it doesn’t look too out of place.

I am fitting one for a client on Thursday as they have similar problems. So far I took the time to re-tweak all of my APs power on their radios and this is behaving immaculately. Anyone wanting wifi in a reasonably sized open space (50m radius from the AP) this is definitely the device to deliver it,
It also matches quite nicely with my AC Lites in that it is only 2x2 Mimo, but I am not trying to provide wifi to a densely populated area so even with 20 or 30 guests at a barbque it will hold up quite nicely.

Thanks mate. I’m keen to get one and install on our aerial pole on the roof. That should allow me to get signal in the garden and maybe in the field behind us whilst walking the dog.

Is it the right thing to be buying whilst on furlough!?

Great thing to buy if you want to sit in the garden, listen to music, surf the web and drink beer. You decide.

that looks like exactly what I need, what model is it and where did you buy it from?

I installed one of these for a client at the weekend. His garden is 30m and we were getting 95% of his incoming broadband speed right at the very bottom and non-LOS to the AP, it was located around a corner out of sight (from his wife). Streaming Netflix to my iphone quite happily

I need wifi at the end of the garden so that I can 'work' from there on a nice day

Mushii, this looks what I need to get some garden WiFi BUT the other half isn’t keen on “another box on the exterior wall”. The back of my house is not dissimilar in layout to yours; do you think if I mounted an in wall access point facing out through the rear bifolds mounted on the internal wall the signal would propagate outside as well as serving the extension? The garden area is about 15m long from the extension.

Hey @mushii,
Curious to know how you mounted the bracket for the AP to the brick? Did you use the stock bracket and mounting hardware that comes with it and mount directly to the brickface, or is there some hidden backplate of some kind? Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom