Unidisk Spheros HD Setup

Onenairb

Standard Member
Hi,
What is the best way to connect a Unidisk to a Spheros (HD) 42?
I've tried using the DVI/HDCP output to the Spheros DVI input (which should be compatible) but it just keeps flicking the picture on then off repeatedly. I've searched through the config options but either I'm missing something or this is the wrong way to connect them.

Help!

:lease:

ianh64

Try a different DVI/HDMI cable - Molex cable 88768-3510 is the 2m HDMI/DVI cable recommended by Loewe. It seems to have fixed my issue but it is early days.

I had been having problems with my Xelos SL and Meridian G98 for a year now - eventually, after Meridian had checked out their end of things, I got LinnSight (the UK distributer) to come and check out their end. After initially dismissing the problem, further investigation revealed that certain Linn & Arcam equipment had similar problems too. In the end, the problem was traced to the mechanical fitting of the DVI plug/socket arrangement in the Xelos SL/Spheros LCD media box - I don't know if this is the same unit as the Spheros plasma. This only affects some designs of DVI plug so it is not a cable fault but a design issue so trying a replacement identical cable will not yield different results. The Molex cable proved 100% reliable in tests. Why only certain high end DVD players are affected if the fault is at the display end mysitifies me.

Only this last week have I obtained the cable (www.CPC.co.uk) and it cost me £10 + VAT + P&P and so far I have not had the problem reoccur but for me it was an intermittent fault. It also provided me with a firmer plug fixing at the HDMI end too.

Hope it works out.

Ian

P

por

I'm having the exact same problem. I have connected a Denon 2910 to my Spheros 42 with a DVI cable from Supra. The picture flicks on and off. Works with scart. Could it really by just the cable? The Loewe dealer thinks its a problem with the DVD player as it has been modified to code-free. I've read some threads here which would suggest that the code-free change can cause similar problems (on component anyway). Loewe themselves are investigating whether it might be a problem with HDCP.

Any update on this or should I just buy the cable reccomended in this thread?

Also I've seen a number of threads where the connection is made HDMI-DVI (the Spheros has only DVI). Why would you do this instead of DVI-DVI?

Thanks,
Paul.

ianh64

I still not have had a reoccurance of my fault since changing cables but to be fair, I have not played enough discs to statistically proove that it has been fixed. On past experiences though, I would have expected to have seen the problem by now.

And both Loewe/LinnSight and a reputable DVD manufacturer have both proven a problem with some types of DVI plugs used by different cable manufacturers. The only plug that prooved 100% reliable in the confined space of the DVI-I socket of the Spheros/Xelos media box was those manufactured by Molex.

P

por

Thanks for the info. I spoke directly with Loewe in Germany this morning. Seemingly I have an early model Spheros HD42 which doesn't support HDCP and there is no easy upgrade. Their suggestion is to use the component inputs. That might not be too bad to connect the DVD player but I'm now wondering what else has been left out and how "HDTV ready" this TV really is. At the end of the day I bought a high end TV and DVD player to enjoy the digital benefits.

Is HDCP only used between the DVD player and TV or could the lack of support prove problematic elsewhere?

Paul.

ianh64

That is not good news I am afraid. Basically your TV will not be HD Ready but can display HD TV from sources that do not enforce the use of HDCP. When HD becomes common place, I suspect that HDCP will become more of a requirement.

I don't know when you bought the TV and what promises the retailer made, but if it was a fairly recent purchase or they said that it was HD Ready, in the UK you would have a case against the retailler. I don't know what the situation is in Switzerland. If I was in your situation and the display was less than a year old I would be pushing for a replacement model. I don't know when HDCP was introduced in the Spheros plasma range, but as far as their LCD range is concerned, the displays were HDCP compliant almost from the start.

An alternative may be to use something that will convert an digital HDCP signal to a non HDCP analogue version (search DVIFIX) and play via the component input - it may require additional conversion. The legality of these devices are unclear and it is uncertain what the long term suitability with with HDCP sources is - theoretically they can suddenly stop working but there is little evidence that this has happened yet other than them not working with some manufacturers DVD Players.

P

por

Well this goes from bad to worse. I think I was sold an expensive Loewe lemon. A friend came around with component cables and we tried to connect using these. The closest we got to success was a black screen with some green lines on it. So far the only way I have found to connect the DVD player to the TV is via Scart and the picture is poor.

Any ideas why the component wouldn't work. I assume the lack of HDCP should only affect the DVI connector.

Paul.

ianh64

How long ago did you buy the display?

I would contact your retailer with your concerns and see if they will do anything to help you resolve them.

Component connections are very simple but there can be a couple of different types - you will probably need the 3 video connections colour coded R,G,B. Some have one or two additional inputs. Audio is a seperate connection and HDCP is not involved.

I assume that you are using the same type at both ends and have connected these up correctly, you enabled component output on the DVD player and correctly configured component on the Spheros - if it is anything like the media box used on the Spheros/Xelos LCD's, the component inputs will support two flavors of component plus RGB. Even if you get these wrong, you should still get a picture, albeit with the wrong colours

P

por

I bought the display in July. We only had it about a month and it stopped working. After some very inneficient troubleshooting the shop sent it back to Loewe who replaced the plasma screen. We finally got it back 2 weeks ago. Yes it was gone for over two months! In the mean time I had bought a good DVI cable (Supra) and a digital audio cable and was looking forward to getting it back and enjoying a much improved picture quality as we had only run it using Scart. The shop coulcn't get it to work and blamed my DVD player as it had been changed to code-free. They didn't seem to know anything about HDCP.

On the component connection I finally got it to display when I changed the output on the DVD player from Progressive to Interlaced. It works but the picture is not better that Scart. Myself and a knowledgable friend spend our 2 hours trying to get it to work.

I'm going to call Loewe again directly but I think its also ultimatum time at the shop ....

Paul.

ianh64

Hi Paul

I don't know what the rules are in Switzerland, but, if I had bought the display in July, unless it was ex-demo, end of line etc, and this was in the UK the unit would go back for a refund.

The Loewe specs state that it supports DVI+HDCP. If tried your DVD player in someone elses display and it works with a copy protected disc then the DVD player is not at fault. Region free should not make any difference. Also try a different lead combination with your display - there is a problem with some Loewe displays in combination with certain designs of DVI plug used on some leads. What DVD player is it? If it is a unidisc or some other 'high end' player such as Arcam, Meridian etc then the lead may be a problem - I don't know why but it has been proven in tests - try the cheap Molex lead as suggested. Also try a non copy protected DVD - something like DVE (Digital video essentials) or Lord of the Rings (my UK version does not appear to be copy protected). If a disc is not copy protected, then some players will not use HDCP. If this works, and others do not then HDCP is the problem.

Regarding component, in my Xelos SL, there are various settings for component - these are auto, SD, progressive and HD. Even when using SD interlaced source, I would set the display to progressive or HD. Its a much better picture than SD or auto.

I hope it all works out for you

Trending threads

Top Bottom