Unicol Gyrolock projector ceiling mount

Bert Coules

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just acquired a Unicol Gyrolock GK1 ceiling mount to replace my previous cheap and rather flimsy (but quite stylish) universal fitting.

The Unicol is clearly a superb mount, widely adjustable and built like a battleship, but it's not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing thing to stick on your ceiling. So I wonder if anyone has tried softening its somewhat industrial lines? With a loose cylindrical sleeve over the descender, maybe? And something to cover the top mounting plate?

Hmm... I wonder if I should have posted this in the DIY section...?

Last edited:
Just got one myself Bert, did you end up doing anything with yours ?

Not yet, but I'm still thinking along the lines in my first post. It shouldn't be too difficult and the appearance would definitely be improved. The other approach I considered was to paint the whole assembly white, but now that it and the projector are in place I'm not anxious to take them down again.

Not yet, but I'm still thinking along the lines in my first post. It shouldn't be too difficult and the appearance would definitely be improved. The other approach I considered was to paint the whole assembly white, but now that it and the projector are in place I'm not anxious to take them down again.

Yeah I would be the same once its all up and running.

Painting may not actually be a bad idea. I would imagine something like this would be good ?

Satin Metal Spray Paint White - Speciality Paint - Paint -Decorating & Interiors - Wickes

That paint looks ideal. The only potential snag with painting is that some of the parts are pretty close-fitting: reassembling the painted mount could perhaps mark the new finish. And you'd probably have to do some touching-up once the final positioning was arrived at. But it's certainly a possibility, and a white mount would definitely look less industrial than the current black.

A bit late for both of us, but I've just discovered that Unicol do what they call a "home" version of the mount, finished in silver: there's a picture here. It's more limited in its adjustability, though.

The range also includes a plain ceiling fitting to conceal the GK1 screw plate; I found it online when I was first looking but can't turn it up now, annoyingly. So it's back to thinking about DIY possibilities.

Last edited:
That paint looks ideal. The only potential snag with painting is that some of the parts are pretty close-fitting: reassembling the painted mount could perhaps mark the new finish. And you'd probably have to do some touching-up once the final positioning was arrived at. But it's certainly a possibility, and a white mount would definitely look less industrial than the current black.

A bit late for both of us, but I've just discovered that Unicol do what they call a "home" version of the mount, finished in silver: there's a picture here. It's more limited in its adjustability, though.

The range also includes a plain ceiling fitting to conceal the GK1 screw plate; I found it online when I was first looking but can't turn it up now, annoyingly. So it's back to thinking about DIY possibilities.

Your right, the new fresh paint job will indeed get marked as we wont be able to cure the paint like manufacturing can.

The silver one does look good too, but as you say, its limited compared to the normal GK1.

I would hate to have to paint it white then if the room gets redecorated to have to paint it silver or even back to black again. I cant ever imagine having to sell this mount, but resale value will go down a good bit.

How about a piece of circular hollow section or UPVC downpipe to run from the base plate up to the connecting plate which is the same diameter as the connecting circular collar? It would hide the main "industrial" looking part of the mount and would certainly look tidy, particulary as you can run the cables through it too and, depending how it is mounted, into the ceiling.

Yes, I've wondered about that, though the diameter would have to be fairly large. An alternative would be to use a smaller descending cylinder and a separate cover for the ceiling plate.

I plan to mock up a few different possibilities in paper and card and check out the aesthetics and practicability. I'll report back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom