1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UNICOL factory visit - Panny AE100 mount

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Shockabuku, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi all,

I thought I'd start a new thread for the results of my visit to the UNICOL factory today. I've put up a quick & dirty web page with some pictures & dimensions etc...HERE I'm concentrating on the Gyroloc mounting system as that seems most suitable for home use.

The biggest worry we've all had is with the central mounting point on the Panny (actually the tripod mount). The general perception has been that this mounting point isn't strong enough for celing mounting, confirmed by that poor chap on the AVS forum who's PJ fell from the sky! Well, I met the chap at UNICOL who designs the stuff, and he said that currently, the bracket they use for the AE100 is the GK0. Shock horror! This uses the tripod mounting point only!!! After I explained the unfortunate experience above, he said that as of today, the GK0 will not be sold for the AE100! Instead, he will design a proper adapter plate & have it in production by the end of next week. Cool.

Now, to answer some specific questions I received from members of this forum...

1. If you want the brackets in any colour other than black, there's an 18% surcharge. They'll actually do any colour you like as they'll do it specially. I saw some white ones of various shades, & the finish is fine.

2. The paint used is epoxy polyester. The chap wasn't sure as he'd never tried, but he his feeling was that most household paints should adhere to it just fine if you want to paint it yourself.

3. As I mention above, they currently have no bracket designed for the AE100, & weren't intending to do one...until I helped them to see the light :D

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the product & will seriously consider getting a GK1 once the AE100 bracket is available. Just a shame that the extra colours have that surcharge (which amounts to about 30 quid on the GK1). Still, it's a nice solution for those of us who want to be able to remove the pj when it's not in use...a simple twist of the Trilock system & the pj is disconnected.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Unicol will more or less make a bracket for anything AV wise if you ask them. I shouldn't think it will be too hard for them to design a bracket for the AE100.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Mark

It look's like a good mount to me, but it should at that price :eek:
    Have you thought about getting a match for the silver paint on the Ae100, it would look pretty cool if it was colour matched.

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Silver would look rather smart, but I reckon I need to concede to the other half on this one...white (to match the walls) methinks! It's certainly not cheap, but the Gyrolock mounts do match my requirements for a flexible mount that folds pretty much out of the way when not in use, & allows very quick removal of the pj. I'll probably be placing an order when the AE100 adapter plate is in production.

5. Gotan

Gotan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I ordered my panny AND the Unicol Gyrolock about a week ago from AV-SALES, before I placed my order I visited the Unicol website and they already had the Panasonic PTAE100 adapter place listed.

http://www.unicol.co.uk/pdf/GAPlates.htm

Hope I get the right one

:eek:

Gotan
    (Daz)

6. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Daz (Gotan). If I were you, I'd give them a call & make sure you're getting the right one. UNICOL definitely do not currently have an adapter plate for the AE100 that uses the correct ceiling mount fixings on the pj (according to the bloke who designs all the plates). Tell 'em to hold off on delivery until the new plate is in production (should be within a week or so).

7. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for taking the time to research this, (those pics and notes are great) .. and I'm very happy that UNICOL have been put right on the single mount point they were selling.

I still don't have a date for my projector shipment - so I'll sit tight for the moment. I think ordering one in a preferred colour is probably a better bet than painting over black (you know its going to scratch off and show though at some point).

If and when you order one, I'll look forward to seeing the photos.

Thanks again for your efforts,
    Chas