1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unicol desktop stand for Panasonic plasmas. Any experiences?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Bonzaimaster, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought their desktop stand from Unicol? I'm considering it because it is not as wide as the Panasonic version.

However I'm not sure what it actually looks like. The picture on their website shows the connecting poles at a different position compared to the Panasonic version. Can this be right?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I haven't got one but I have seen one.

It doesn't fit the same way as the Panasonic. The picture you can see doesn't show the big frame at the back that connects to the back of the screen. The two narrow legs to the pedestal that you can see are attached to the larger frame at the back.

I didn't try it but from the look of it you may be able to adjust the height slightly of the plasma from the pedestal.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It's basically a Unicol wall mount attached to two columns that are themselves attached to a base plate. Quite industrial looking if you ask me...

4. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found out that the Unicol desktop stand leaves a gap of around 4-5 inches between the stand and the plasma. Not very appealing anymore I'm afraid.

If anyone is interested in taking a look at one, it's available in the shop@panasonic outlet in Horsham, Surrey.

5. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The most appropriate desktop stand for me is going to be the one for the Panasonic series 4 plasma (the one that have a footprint that is more or less a rectangle). I've tried calling around but (not surprisingly) I can't find anyone with old stock.

Does anyone know a supplier who might have one? Or does anyone want to sell one they don't need anymore?

Many thanks

6. satch

satch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try empiredirect.co.uk i think they are £112 if i remember right?:rolleyes:

7. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion but empiredirect only seem to stock the newer one (model TY-ST05). I am looking for the older one that was used with the series 4 Panasonics - I think the model for that is TY-ST42PT3.

8. aycurumba

aycurumba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Unicol stand and it's perfect for my needs - the 4-5" that it lifts the screen off the desktop is just perfect to fit my Mission centre speaker underneath.

The Panasonic stand holds the screen via two pegs which slot inside the screen at either end. It holds the screen about 2-3" off the desktop and doesn't allow any visible gap between the screen and the desktop. It also (IMHO) looks very cheap and is well overpriced.

The unicol stand consists of two parts - a frame which bolts onto the back of the screen (just like wall mounts), and the stand base which the frame slots into via two square tubular 'prongs' about 3" apart at the centre of the plasma. This can be quite difficult to assemble if you are on your own - the frame + plasma is very heavy and requires a degree of precision to line up the frame prongs with the stand tubes (The plasma + stand weighs in at around 47kg!!).

The Unicol seems to be the more stable of the two, although it takes up more desktop real estate (the feet project further forward and backward of the screen than for the Panny stand). However, it requires more effort to hide cables (best to feed the cables between the prongs and use cable ties to keep them in place), and if weight is a consideration....

Hope this helps.