Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Uni fi hi fi ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by smallangryboy, Jan 28, 2004.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I'm looking to merge all of my entertainment and PC needs into one, so I'm looking for an AV PC if there is such a thing. However I'm not one for looking at ugly beige boxes and wondered if there are any sexy solutions to this problem.

These home media PC's are slowly emerging onto the market but I doubt any offer adequate audio visual performance when replacing a seperates CD/DVD system. Can anyone suggest any that might.

I've looked at imerge M2000 http://www.imerge.co.uk/products/improductshtml/ipmain.html sound server but unfortunatley thats only a CD/Hard drive system. I've also looked at ZT Groups media centre, http://www.ztgroup.com/intelsys_mce.asp which is basically a massive 250Gig hard drive and PC in a nice silver box. Seems OK but it's US only.

Can anyone point me toward something that will do a good job of DVD and CD replay, yet have the flexibility of being driven by a fast PC.

cheers in advance

SAB

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Try the HTPC forum, Sexy cases are available LMP and UVEM do em also Shuttle micro PC's (cubes ) are cool.

3. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Cheers, whats the address of the HTPC forum ?

SAB

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Have a look at the HCPC forum here...lots of info,and should find that HCPC's can deliver excellent audio and visual quality....mine certainly does both,and more,when used with an external processor.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    suprisingly stand manufacturer Stands unique sell cases for the purpose but you need to build the rest yourself.
    www.standsunique.com

6. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm quite lucky in that I have the choice of my shuttle and a coolermaster CM500 that I could use as possible cases. The shuttle would be smaller, but the CM quieter and possibly sexier. I'd probably buy a stand alone DVD and CD player for best quality, although I think a PC can keep up with DVD playback quite well. CD isn't a patch on a separate deck, even with a digital output to my amp.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Tom...I think you'd need to look at your choice of sound cards there,and some amps are more revealing than others also
    Maybe have a word with branxx for his views on PC sound quality....you may be surprised.
    The Lynx cards are regarded widely as being of true audiophile quality,as are some others.
    My HCPC uses an Audiotrak 192 card as the digital throughput to avoid Windows Kmixer problems,which accounts for a lot of the poor sound quality from PCs,with it's enforced resampling of everything to 48Khz.
    The card then outputs into a PTech P1A upsampler before going into the Tag's Dacs,and whilst not quite as good as the P1a/P3a together,it's close enough for everyday use.
    CD can certainly be very good indeed from a properly designed and set up HCPC,and that's comparing it to a £2K Dac/upsampler,on the end of a Tag/Krell/B&W system.

8. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    So alexs2 - money no object - what would be your perfect setup in a HC/PC ?

SAB

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    LOL....money no object....with wife,3 kids and dogs to support!

Case:Has to be acceptable to she who must be obeyed,thus very happy with the ATC Coolermaster.

Processor:whichever the fastest current AMD/Intel at that time was,providing it isn't overclocked and can be made to run quietly.

HDD:500Gb plus....plenty to choose from,but I have Maxtor currently

Memory:at least 512Mb and probably 1Gb

Soundcard:Lynx/RME,although mine is perfect for digital throughput only.

Video....difficult there as you want something either fanless or at least very quiet,so probably a radeon of some kind.

Mainboard:I have an ASUS currently and very happy with it....but ensure it's got Firewire and USB.

DVD:I use an XCard as the output from my HCPC drives an RPTV.

Keyboard/mouse:Gyration cordless.

If you want games and/or a PJ setup,your requiremants may well be different.

10. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only problem is that I haven't had a really decent sound card to compare... ah for unlimited funds.