1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unhelpful repair guy

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dfield2000, Aug 15, 2002.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I posted a thread a few days back about my sony str db930 which has fallen silent since my 2 year old son cranked up the volume to maximum. I've tried the factory reset and checked the speakers but nothing worked so I took it to the local repair shop (which was recomended by Sevenoaks).

They've had it for a few days now, so I phoned them today to see what the verdict is - but the tw*t on the other end of the phone just keeps asking to bring in my speakers and won't comment on what the problem with the amp is ! He says that he needs to connect the speakers before he can say why it was blown is and he won't comment on the cause of the problem until I've done so ! Surely he can see which parts of the amp are damaged, which parts need replacing and how much the repair will cost without attaching my speakers. He was making out that the speakers might be responsible for the damage, but can anyone explain how this could have been ? It's major hassle to drag my heavy B&W 602s and associated subs down to shop for no good reason.

I just wanted a straight quote on the price of a repair and get it back by the weekend. I feel really p*ssed off now as I can't get down to the shop until Saturday.

I think I just needed a quick rant to get this off my chest.

Rant over.

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's not a warranty claim, he sounds like a nob. He could just tell you what he suspects. There's some funny blighters about you know. I got my TV fixed the other day and the guy was really upfront and helpful and kept me informed all the way. Maybe try another repairer.

S

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    nice one.

I think I just needed to hear someone else call the guy a nobber.
    I feel a bit calmer now.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dont you just hate being held to ransom by people who just happen to have the service manual and a decent set of circuit testers, but no ounce of intelligence or customer focus!

My local sony/panasonic dealer will charge £50 to look at anything (including giving a quote), redeemable against your next purchase over £200. isnt that generous, I mean theres no incentive there to declare anything dudd forcing you to redeem that voucher with a replacement.

Somebody should pull the rug out from the market and publish service manuals, for the confident DIY meddler. haynes do it for cars!!!

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although this particular guy sounds a little "odd", you have to be fair about it all.

It can take some time just to ascertain exactly what a problem is.
    You wouldn't stay in business very long if you spent all day looking at amps, TVs, VCRs, etc and then giving quotes for free, only to then be told the repair is too expensive and for the punter to pick up his item and then disappear to Comet/Currys or the web to buy a new one.

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Someone talking about me again.......?;)

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The way the repairer works is quite fair and I haven't got a problem with it - I was told that they would look at the amp and if the cost was under £50 they would go ahead and do it. If it was over £50 they would phone me to see if I wanted to go ahead. If I said no then they said they wouldn't charge me. Can't say fairer than that - Except that when I phoned him up today I was expecting him to say something like 'xxx component has been damaged, xxx needs to be replaced, and it'll cost xxx to be fixed'. Instead of that all he would tell me is 'You have to bring your speakers in', and he would not answer any questions beyond that. I can understand them saying 'if we connect your speakers we can try to work out why the amp was blown', or 'if we connect your speakers we can see if the problem is likely to re-occur even after we fix it', but that seems irrelevant to the the estimate of repairing the existing damage.

Anyway, I've managed to get through to the head engineer bloke now and he's told me that the problem was caused by a large force which has bounced back into the back of the amp. It sounds like they have fixed the amp quite easily but they want to connect the speakers to check this and see if it was indeed the cause of the problem. Apparently if they can't reproduce the problem with the speakers attached they'll need to look for another problem inside the amp.

This is all getting a bit tedious and boring now - I just want amp back !!!

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'm taking a guess here but it *may* be suffering from a failed ic or output transistor and one of the commonest causes of this is a speaker presenting an abnormal load.This is *maybe* where he's coming from.

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Probably just doesn't want you to take the amplifier home, connect it up for the same damage to occur again.
    If you think repair engineers are "nobbers" you should meet the general public, they often expect free estimates down to component level and resent paying more than £50 for repairs, regardless.
    I think it's a good idea if service manuals and parts were made available directly to customers from makers, on a non-returnable, you trash it, tough, basis, maybe then they would better understand what's involved being a service engineer.....

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Like cars though you would only do DIY fixes on a wreck. If your car was worth something you take it to a garage.

I have no problem paying for engineers to fix something that still has a residual value greater than the repair fee. I do resent paying minimum of £50 on something worth a £100 just to find out what its going to cost to repair it when in all probability it takes 30 minutes to fix. I still think its unfair that I dont have a choice when it comes to repair. Its either trash it or be robbed (of course I can only go by my experience with the local dealer, Im surethere are lots of genuine service engineers that dont take advantage of a seaside town where the average age of the population is 92). Foretunately for me Ive only needed engineers twice but both times I paid more than the item was worth and was forced to get the repair in both cases purely because Id committed the majority of it up front for the quote.

If being a service engineer was rocket science than where are the 5 year training courses?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmmmm Interesting. I think repaiers have been feeling the pinch, Electronics are disposable and only high end stuff get repaired, so you are in an odd situ. Warranty work can be the only real payer and manufactiurers do most of this in-house.
    I took my girlfriends TV in after it was filled with OJ, took it to a bloke advertising in Yellow Pages, the guys work shop was just up the road (Cardiff), he said put it there, I did he had it for a week, I called him, "can't clean to a satisfactory level it could blow up at any time! no Charge". Odd as it was exactly where I put it on his workshop floor. Went to a Trusted Repairer Localy (Shep in Kingswinford) £35 to clean it up 3 month warranty, 2 weeks later 1 dead TV. Took it back, fitted a new coil. No extra charge, £35 to clean the board, Steep, 3 month warranty parts and labour, new coil and fitting, Worth every penny.

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hornydragon speaking sense.

nunew33,
    If it's only worth £100 and the cost to estimate is £50, the idea is take it to the skip. You may resent it but it's not worth an engineer's time if his 30 minutes doesn't generate £50 less taxes and overheads.
    Where is the five year course ?, firstly an engineer is learning all through his career with courses, that's after the initial qualifications are achieved. It may not be rockets , which compared to multi-sandwich pcbs are wonderfully simple, but if it is so easy go ahead.
    Why do some folks assume electrical repairs should be cheap as chips?
    Think about it :cool: .

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the issue here is that this guy wouldn't explain why he wanted the speakers. All he had to do was be a bit open and explain in laymans terms what they were planning to do. I'm sure many service engineers doa great job and yes, I agree that £50 is the bare minimum to get out of bed nowadays. All he had to say was, we need our speakers to see if they are causing the problem, possibly overloading XYZ etc.'

14. mauricem

mauricem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds scary, Ive just returned my second hk 7000 amp each with the same symptom of a faulty or dead rh surround channel. Problem appeared after a couple of days use.

Speaker is a paradigm studio 20 which I bought 2nd hand, it sounds fine but the case shows evidence of a fall at some stage. Seller maintains it was showroom damage and has worked perfectly for the last 3 years.

Anyway can you tell me how to check if it is a problem with the speakers? Only tool i have access to is a digital multimeter. Id like to be sure rather than risking blowing another amp.

As I said sonically the speaker is perfect, which lead me to believe it was not the problem.

cheers

15. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Everyone isfeeling the pinch. The local dealer must be feeling it as his only saving grace is that most people round here are OAPs and therefore dont realise web savings or even out of town superstore savings(the dealer wont even discuss deals everything is MRP- and I never expect price matches from bricks and mortar dealers - in fact my last major purchase was from a near local dealer so Im not that tight fisted). So you would think that engendering repeat business and cusomer loyalty like giving a quote and charging what it took, being open and honest with the work, etc, to find out what the problem was rather than flat £50 miniimum or in dfields case simply being discourtious would go in their favour. The repeat work and the value of personal recommendation would be worth the effort.

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Try metering it across the terminals (disconected from the amp).Expect to read 4 ohms or upwards.This is by no means an exhastive test only an indication.
    Was the same surround speaker conected to the problem channel.There are usually clues to pick up on if you look logicaly.

17. mauricem

mauricem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info, Ill try it out when I get home.

Yes, same speaker each time hence my suspicions.

18. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Most of the locals probably die of old age before they can recommend anything to their friends:rolleyes:

19. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hornydragon -> Who was they guy you took your TV to in Cardiff ?
    Was it Budd Electrical in Birchgrove, because that's the place where my amp is at the moment !!!

When I phone Sevenoaks in Albany Road they said that sending it to Sony would be expensive and recommended Buds or Radiocraft on Cowbridge Road. I think I'll try Radiocraft next time !

20. mauricem

mauricem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure if i measured this correctly but both my rears are showing a value of 2.3 whilst my fronts, paradigm studio 40s, show 7.9. This is in the ohm section of the (cheap) multimeter with the calibration at its lowest value of 20. not too cluey on electronics im afraid.

The lh rear speaker and channel has always functioned perfectlly.

If a speaker was the problem wouldnt there be some sonic symptom as in distorted.

apologies to the original poster for veering somewhat off topic

21. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Having just read Spectres post about veering off topic I'd like to say no appolgies are needed by mauricem. Its fine by me.

I've also just read Spectres post on TV topics about slagging off retailers. For the record I'm not really slagging of Budds - they could have just give me back the amp and waited for it to blow again. I supposed its good of them to ask me to bring the speakers in to see if that was the cause of the problem. I was just a bit p1ssed off with the guy on the phones attitude and I wanted to have a quick rant to get it off my chest.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Atlantic TV and Video in Canton, Radiocraft are supposed to be good, but expensive. They wanted £20 for a visual inspection??? Not worth it on a 14" portable TV.

Don't act so suprised, I should have done it myself but cant be arsed, plus no recourse if I bugger it up. Having done an Electronics course, I have the greatest respect for repair engineers, unlike cars electronics are not usually designed for repair.

Any body effected By WEEED yet (Waste Environment,Electrical and Electronic Directive)
    Great aint it.