Unhappy with MOT

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
So the misses car failed yesterday. The main two points were low brake pads on the front (less than 1.5mm) and front tyre less than 1.6mm. Now the front brake pads are no where near this, and the front tyre is not below the tread wear indicator anywhere on the tyre. See below pictures.
Debating whether to go to the garage tomorrow or put a complaint in with VOSA. Anyone dealt with something similar before?
20190522_185253.jpg
20190522_185219.jpg
20190522_191623.jpg

I would speak to the garage. Make sure you mention DVSA rather than VOSA.

Clearly those brake pads are not below the limits.
It depends on how much time you have left on your old mot.
If you have plenty of time left then you could inform VOSA or whatever their name is currently.
You will have to wait until the vehicle has been inspected by them for your mot.
To shortcut the situation you could go to the garage and ask them what they think of the situation and if they get awkward then I would tell them you are taking the matter up with VOSA....I think they might well take another look at the car, unfortunately they have already issued a fail so the only thing they can do is to issue another mot with the items marked as repaired, which is wrong as well.
It's a tricky situation.

Go back to the garage first and show them the evidence that they've made a genuine mistake.

The only thing I would say is that the wear looks little bit imbalanced between the 2 sets. I don't think that should be an MOT failure, but worth checking for a sticky caliper.

I'm guessing the failed items weren't marked as dangerous, because you're not supposed to drive away with any dangerous fails, regardless of whether your current MOT is still valid.

Getting an MOT

I'm guessing the failed items weren't marked as dangerous, because you're not supposed to drive away with any dangerous fails, regardless of whether your current MOT is still valid.

Getting an MOT
They marked the brake pads as dangerous.
The car failed on a sticky rear brake caliper, and CV boot as well. The MOT runs out in 10 days so I do not really have the time to wait for VOSA to issue a test, and they would fail it anyway on the other items I presume.
My issue is, if I get the CV boot repaired and sort the sticky brake caliper, they would still fail on the pads as they would not have been done

Just noticed the GOV MOT page has a section about appealing. In case you missed it and it's any use, here's the direct link: Getting an MOT

I was under the impression that marked as dangerous meant you could not move the car? I think this is open to abuse.

Really, you need to find a good local garage which will MOT on site as well as service. No help here but for the future.

Just noticed the GOV MOT page has a section about appealing. In case you missed it and it's any use, here's the direct link: Getting an MOT
Thanks
It takes 2 weeks, which is the issue, and I cannot repair the car in that time.

I was under the impression that marked as dangerous meant you could not move the car? I think this is open to abuse.

Really, you need to find a good local garage which will MOT on site as well as service. No help here but for the future.
It is, but both the dangerous failures are false, the brake pads have plenty of life left, and the front tyre has 1.9mm tread left (low, but not dangerous)

Who took the car for the mot?

I suggest you cut your loses and find somewhere more honest to get it mot'd.

The pads clearly are not below the limit but they look in a poor state, in fact I would say they look more dangerous than if they were in good condition and only 1.5mm.
Go back and say the pads are not below 1.5 and the tyre is not below 1.6mm get the mot then get the brakes looked at and the tyre done later.

Who took the car for the mot?

I suggest you cut your loses and find somewhere more honest to get it mot'd.
I did, and that is the plan
in fact I would say they look more dangerous than if they were in good condition and only 1.5mm.
How so? Because of the rust? If you think they look dangerous because a bit of rust, you have never owned a 13 year old car

Looks like surface rust to me. A wire brush would sort that out.

I did, and that is the plan

How so? Because of the rust? If you think they look dangerous because a bit of rust, you have never owned a 13 year old car

Looks like surface rust to me. A wire brush would sort that out.

No because of 40+ years in the motor trade, anyone who thinks them brakes are ok should not be going near car repairs or advising on repairs.

Look fine to me, I've seen a lot worse. A bit of a lip on the discs but enough pad material and no obvious signs on scoring on the disc surface. I personally would look at replacing soon but there's nothing there that should fail an mot.
I take it they did a brake test on the rollers and everything was ok.

No because of 40+ years in the motor trade, anyone who thinks them brakes are ok should not be going near car repairs or advising on repairs.

But the tread left on the pads isn't it is it? :confused:

So because you say so? Nice.
They work fine. No issues on the tests apart from the lie that they are under 1.5mm thick.

Look fine to me, I've seen a lot worse. A bit of a lip on the discs but enough pad material and no obvious signs on scoring on the disc surface. I personally would look at replacing soon but there's nothing there that should fail an mot.
I take it they did a brake test on the rollers and everything was ok.
Everything fine on the front.
Sticking rear caliper on the rear (advisory, not fail)

@gibbo52 why the funny?, it's a genuine question. Those pads are not anything like 1.5mm are they? so what is the issue, we don't all have 40+ years in the motor trade and would like to be informed not patronised.

Nothing at all wrong with those front pads/brakes apart from a lip on the disc, which isn't causing an issue.
I would be happy to have those brakes on my car as they are less worn than my own!
I have recently retired from 49 years in the car repair trade, 38 years in business.

Best I shut up then, but to have one pad wear at double the rate of the other three suggest to me something is wrong.

@IronGiant I couldn't understand what you said, tread is what you term with tyre wear not brake pads.

I'd hazard a guess everybody else knew what I meant, but thanks for the explanation. :smashin:

So, if I have it right, you are concerned that in the last picture, that pad has worn much faster than the other 3, suggesting that a piston has stuck ?

I'd hazard a guess everybody else knew what I meant, but thanks for the explanation. :smashin:

So, if I have it right, you are concerned that in the last picture, that pad has worn much faster than the other 3, suggesting that a piston has stuck ?
A stuck caliper isn't exactly dangerous. I very much doubt any car that is nearly 15 years will have even wear on anything (pads, brakes, tyres, suspension parts etc etc etc)

I changed my first set of brake pads almost exactly 38 years ago, so I'm a mere babe and amateur. But if you had a sticky piston, then it wasn't mentioned on your MOT. Should it have been?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom