1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unhappy with Hitachi support experience

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brain, Jan 6, 2005.

1. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is an ongoing saga that started a month ago at least...

The short version is that I had some dust blobs on my pj-tx100 and I wanted it sent in for repair. It took two weeks to get the projector picked up from my work place! Several pickup attempts later the PJ finally got picked up mid december.

I had hoped to have the projector back before christmas since I have heard of other peoples good hitachi support experience. This is not the case with me. I phone on the 20th [or maybe earlier, i phoned a few times] and the status of my call was "awaiting parts". Its now the 6th January and I phoned up today to get the status "awaiting parts"! The lady on the phone said i should call back on Monday to see if it has moved on any more. I think I will just phone every day instead of waiting.

Has anyone else had to wait a long time to get their PJ back from hitachi? Im am quite disappointed that I have been without a ptojector for over a month now.
    I wonder what they are doing to the projector. Since it only had dust blobs all i thought they would have to do is clean it.

Am I being impatient here?

See futher down for the updates...

2. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Am I been think asking why they are awaiting parts when you have dust blobs on the screen?
    Maybe it's delay tactics or they haven't looked at your unit.
    Is the repair done by a contractor or Hitachi?
    If it isn't done by Hitachi, a little e-mail to them wouldn't hurt.

3. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I have been thinking - maybe they found out something else.

And yes, it was sent to hitachi.

Another thing, what happenes to my bulb life when its handed in to support? I assume they use a test bulb and set the timer not to increase? I have noted my current bulb life so I will complain if its gone up significantly.

4. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I doubt the unit's have the facility not to increase the lamp life.

My unit (Z-201) came back with an extra 20 hours life. I understand they have to test, but I did make a compaint. I did get an extra 3 months warranty for my compaining.
    I don't know if Hitachi would be such an easy touch. Worth a go?

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I just hope my unit doesn't succumb to the dreaded dust problem. I took the dust cover off the other day and couldn't see any trace of dust whatsoever on either the dust cover grills or the filter itself. This is after 50 hours use. Cleaning cycle is I think 100 hrs...PJ

6. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    If you do get dust blobs, you can do a pretty good job of cleaning the dust out without having to send it away, or taking the projector apart. I get the impression from my own experience, and some other users, that Servicecare seem to want to change the parts, rather than clean them.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks UrbanT, I'll surely shout for your advice if it ever happens...PJ :smashin:

8. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know the email address for hitachi support? I used their online form last time and it took over 2 weeks for them to reply.

I have just phoned again and it is still awaiting parts. I would like to know what exaclty they are fixing that requires parts [since i only sent in with dust blobs] and why its taking so long.

9. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I phoned them, again, and still its awaiting parts! This has been over 3 weeks now, plus the two weeks or more it took them to pick the damn thing up.

I demanded to the woman on the phone to find me an expected date of these parts arriving. It does not state this on the system so she contacted someone else....then she tells me they are expected in May!!!!!!!! I think this is a complete joke!

I lost it at that point. She said that she can send me a "loan" unit but could not guarantee that it would be the same model. Tomorrow she said her supervisor would contact me.

I just read my warranty card and is does indeed states "Durin g the warranty period, HEL offers to provide this service by way of repair and return within 7 days. In the event that that repair/transportation is likely to take longer than 7 working days then a loan unit of a similar model will be provided"

The supervisor is supposed to be calling tomorrow so I will have my say. First of all, its bad that considering how long this call has been open they never even thought to offer this loan device until now! I will also demand to know what on earth is wrong with the damn thing. I sent it in to repair the dust blobs! I want to know what is wrong with it and what parts are required.
    If this supervisor cannot give me any details then I will be writing/phoning/emailing whoever I can in order to find out. The lack of information that I have been getting about the whole process is quite appalling.

Im quite annoyed now as you can see. :mad: :mad: :mad: :censored:

10. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shockingly bad service, I can quite understand why you are upset. On the bright side, once you extract the "simmilar" model from them, making sure of course that it's at least as good, you can enjoy putting all the hours you want on their lamp. Hell, leave it switched on 24/7 ;)

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Quite annoyed?! I'd be going beserk! This is atrocious service.

I'd add to whatever expletives you care to use tomorrow two things...

1. You have the ear of many potential customers, both existing and new, on this forum and the way you are treated from now on will influence people's decisions in the future - it will mine anyway!

2. If it carries on as farcically as this I'd threaten to take them to a consumer body or even Watchdog on BBC!

Good luck with this!

...PJ

12. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The retailer whom I bought the projector from wouldnt be able to help me out on this would they? I bought from discountelectricaluk.

13. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First phone call of the day. I phoned to make sure that they will call back regarding the loan. I got a calrifiaction on the date as the 20th May!!!
    What should I do?
    Either:
    Get a 'loan' unit until I get my original back in May or even June...I would have to make sure I get exactly the same model. I dont know what to do if they cant give me the same model.
    or
    I insist they replace the unit with a new one. The devaluation of the projector over 5 months will be considerable. If there happens to be a new projector I wish to buy then I would sell the Hitachi to pay towards it. However, if I am not getting it back until May then the value of the device will drop possibly by quite a high percentage. Also, what if I needed some cash, thats £1000 sitting in a Hitachi repair centre for 5 months.

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    May?! Tell them to :censored: .

DEMAND a brand spanking new unit, say they have provided a unit which is not fit for purpose (ie unfixable for 5 months is cast iron evidence) and you are invoking your right under the trades descriptions act for a full refund or replacement. If you get no joy, give the citizens advice bureau a ring, they'll point you in the direction of the relavent body to complain to. We did this a while back with a furniture company which was messing us around, we had it sorted by the end of the same day!
    Good luck!...PJ

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes, give them a ring if you haven't already and tell them this sorry tale, it can't do any harm...PJ

16. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, heres an update...

I got a call back from the support centre and some interesting facts came out of it. It turns out that the people I have been calling the whole time are not in fact Hitachi, but rather a support service centre!!! When I originally enquired about the projector I filled out a form on the Hitach Europe site. I was later emailed back telling me to phone number XXX and that they would sort the problem out. Naturally I thought this would be Hitachi. It seems as if they outsource there service centres to other companies....bad bad bad. Dell did this once but they realised the mistake and stopped that in its tracks.
    I spoke to the supervisor of this call centre and she said she couldonly loan me a tx10 and not the same model as my pj-tx100. I said this was unaceptable and that I would like a replacement projector instead of a loan. She was unable to fufil that request and suggested that I call either the retailer [discounttvuk] or Hitachi head office to chase the call further.
    I have now contacted discounttv, who have been much more helpful than the service centre [the company name is servicecare [www.servicecare.co.uk] for reference]. The nice woman on the phone said that I was right to phone them first instead of Hitachi direct. She has details of the story so far and assures me that she will contact me tomorrow afternoon with an update on the situation. I think she understand my case a bit more than this service centre did.
    Hopefully now that the retailer is involved things will happen. Ill update you again tomorrow when I find out more [hopefully].

17. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest, the retailer you bought it from should always be the first port of call. I didn't realise you hadn't tried them.

18. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I went straight to what I thought was Hitachi. Past experience with other products meant I thought it was a good idea to cut out the retailer. However, I may change my opinion through this experience. Since it was such a simple [or so I thought] problem I contacted Hitachi direct because I had heard other good reports from people having it all fixed and returned withiin a week.

19. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry,

I should have read this thread more closely and realised we were the retailer. We shall be persuing the matter on 'Brain's' behalf. It is amazing what they think they can get away with!

20. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update on the situation...

Discounttv have chased up Hitachi who are now agreeing to send a replacement projector! :)
    I have been told by email that it is on order and should hopefully be with them soon. I have no idea how long that will be. Hopefully days and not weeks.

Once it has arrived I wonder if I can get a free pixel check again since the original projector had this check.

21. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Good news! That's more like it!...PJ :smashin:

22. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Brain, we'll definitely take a look at it, and make sure it's all OK.

23. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Brain, perhaps this thread should be renamed happy with discounttv experience...PJ ;)

24. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indeed - I am much happier with the support from discounttv. Its been top notch! :D

25. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to the superior service of Discounttv I now have a brand new replacement projector. It was delivered today and I am most happy :D

Let this be a warning to anyone else wanting repairs of a Hitachi projector. Just go through the retailer and it will be fine.

Thanks again discounttv - ill buy from you again thats for sure and I recommend you to anyone!

26. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Discounttv and Ben Millar- take a bow :clap: :smashin:

Sean G.

27. Claude

Claude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Brain,

Sorry to hear of the problems you've been having with Hitachi. What I would say about dust blobs however is that they can be easily got rid of without even opening the case.

My tx100 got pretty dusty. This I could tell by swinging the focus arm to the extreem, this puts the dust in focus. I resolved it by purchasing a can of compressed air (from a camera shop) and simply blasting some air through the air intake having removed first the dust cover and filter. Problem solved. I don't think sending a PJ back every time some dust lands on the LCD panel or bulb, whatever, is really an option.

28. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thank god for Discount TV, Hitachi's warranty is pretty P**S poor AFAIC,
    with only 1 year RTB and no swap out for a D.O.A, When the likes of Epson are giving a 3 year onsite warranty for the tw10h that costs half the price of the
    Hitachi illumina PJ-TX100??? :(

29. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Claude,

I had tried removing the dust bobs in the way you stated but it had no effect. It removed some, but a couple of days later it got even worse. I had to return it because i couldnt get rid of them.

I am now thinking of buying a plastic dust cover to put over the entire projector when it is not in use.

30. chilly

chilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As my PJ-TX10 is ceiling mounted, I got my wife to make me a cover from soft fabric, IMO this works great and lessens the possibility of dust getting inside.