Unhappy Viera owner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by alan8477, Feb 13, 2005.

1. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I bought my 50 inch Viera back in November 2004. Most of the time the picture is stunning. However, anything with high contrast is a real problem, resulting images are very dark and show little, if any, detail. Skin tones in subdued light have a green tinge. I was watching Around the World in 80 days (remake) yesterday, and Queen Victoria looked like she had a 5 o'clock shadow.

I have a QED squart that I am about to fit to see if it makes any difference. I show DVD from a Pioneer DV545 on AV4 RGB.

I know some will talk about professional callibration, but I am unconvinced about a technology that requires this to get an acceptable picture. I have tried lots of different contrast and brightness settings, but I solve one problem and introduce another.

Now I paid over £4,000 for this plasma, and I have to say that I am disappointed if this is state of the art technology. My old Toshiba MT3 projector is much more consistent, and so is my old Cool Green Philips TV.

Now I don't think I am a particularly fussy user, and I love the screen size and 'flatness' of the technology, but at the moment I am tollerating the failings.

I also increasingly think that the Viera is a very sophisticated and stylish set when on its stand. When it is on the wall, as mine is, it looks odd. I wonder whether aesthetically, Panasonic ever looked at this set off its stand.

I would be interested to hear the views of others.

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Right check list.

1) Make sure the picture settings are either on Cinema Or Normal.
    2)colour temp to Normal
    3) get your self a dvd called DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS or AVIA. These discs will have patterens on them to help adjust colour brignetss contrast and sharpness. The default settings in cinema and normal still need to be adjusted.

OK
    if you can do this and there still is a problem then pro calibration is the way to go.
    Gordon from convergent did mine. It will improve the picture but the Viera is very fussy when it comes to poor picture input. The panal is based on the pw6 line , but the picture procceesing uses the pd30s(crt) acuity technology and can cause picture noise from poor bitrate transmissions such as sky tv. You may also experince the problems with flesh tones looking a bit green because of this picture noise. I found that it went away using component input from my dvd player. If you have component out from your player , that is the way to go. Also if your player is capable of progresive scan, the componenet inputs would be ideal for that as well.

A pro calibration will set you back around £250.00 For a tv that cost you around £4000, surely it is worth it. You are right in saying that plasma of this quality should not need calibration. the simply fact of the matter is, is that thaey are set up wrong in the first place. Its not the panal that is a fault it is the muppets that set them up in the factory.

My Viera is a 37" one, the bigger the screen , the more you will notice any faults in the picture. I have it on a pedastool stand on a home cinema consoll. I think it looks the dogs :censored: . I have also seen a 37" on the wall at avsales and one on a cabenet stand. I preffer the the pedastool one. :thumbsup:

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for taking the time to respond David.

I have had Avia for a couple of years, and have used it to set up the plasma. Interestingly Avia makes a real difference on my projector, but on the plasma it sets up colour like everything is a Bollywood movie. I still have the contrast problem.

Tried all sorts of brightness/contrast settings. I can improve high contrast detail, but then in low contrast pictures everything looks washed out and soft.

My DVD player does not have component, might try my old Sony 725 as it does. Trouble is the Sony will not play my +RW discs.

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I agree with David's advice and also I'm another that prefers the Vieras on the pedestal stand.

I think Avia only comes on an NTSC disc, :confused: if you want to invest in a PAL DVE disc it's only around £14 quid or so. The menu system is a little clunky but the test patterns are all there

S.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Thats where a "Pro" comes in and can actually detect the problem and then correct instead of just pushing settings around, I'm sorry if you are not happy but £4k on a display £250 isnt much of a % really is it..................you can play for many many hours but until you can measure the screen output you cant correct the faults....Spend £5k on the kit if you like but much cheaper and quicker to use a pro.....................

6. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "Well said" HD. a pro calibration can change the PQ considerably.
    For only £250 why wait?

7. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Gordan calibrated my 505 a couple of days ago & i am pleased with the results.Pq is now more 3D,also more detailed.Brightly lit scenes look fantastic...however,when the transmission hits a night time scene,the screen seems to implode into a smoky murk.Fine detail is lost & in extreme cases it is difficult to make out what is going on! Darkness seems to pervade the entire image giving a horrible washed out look. I guess if other people are encountering this problem on different plasmas:it must be a failing of the technology(poor contrast or whatever?). Anyone else had this problem? This is a minor nitpick on an otherwise fantastic screen,but i agree as above:at £4,000,the damn thing should be nigh on perfect!

Dan :close but no :smoke:

8. grumps

grumps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi Alan, and the rest just a quick, very non technical post from a viera owner since September last year. I agree that initially any dark scenes seemed poor - brights were too bright and darks far to dark (no detail). However over the past couple of months now, the set has run in I can say the problem has gone away - maybe this set has a longer run in time than others?

Cheers

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Yep , I must admit that I have also noticed this, but it could just be a fact of getting used to the display over time and the panal itself not changing at all :D

10. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You said it was watching around the world in 80 days, surely the quality of that is going to be rather crap anyway. I have a pw6 and although dvds look incredibly crisp you do see a huge decrease in quality when watching anything over 5 years old on freeview/sky. How do dvds look?

11. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for all the excellent responses. Just to answer a couple of questions:

I was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that the fact that the Avia disc is NTSC has no material impact on its ability to callibrate displays.

The Around The World is the 2004 Walt Disney version. Dodgy film but very good picture quality.

I suppose my frustration with contrast imgaes is that with my set, and others by the sound of it, it is possible to miss critical information. For example, any facial or hand gestures against bright light I would miss. I am no longer able to see what the director intended. I would expect to struggle to see detail in night time scenes, but bright sunlight as well?

I wonder whether there is a case of emperor's clothes going on here. There is an element of sw ank in buying a plasma. It is therefore awfully embarrassing to have to admit that at times the display is crap. :mad:

Anyone in the Worcester area had their screen professionally callibrated? I would be keen to see the difference.

12. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Alan,

I've not had my plasma calibrated however I'm interested in doing so.

If you do decide to have it done professionally, then I'd be interested in perhaps sharing any travel cost incurred by the calibrating engineer (piers for example 45p/mile!!).

Worst case - we could even split the cost on a couple of calibration discs - dve and avia? (oops you have avia)

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279

Just out of interest, is there any chance you could post a couple of pictures of the problem and the settings you are using when encoutering the problem?
    I would we very curious to see it and then perhaps recomend what to do next.
    Dave.

14. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK Dave, I'll have a go tonight.

15. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK, sorry about the poor quality, I have had to do this with a lo res camcorder still. Two shots of the same scene, one on Philips CRT (1st), the other on the Viera plasma (2nd), contrast and brightness both at around 50%.

Attached Files:

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    OK,

If your contrast and brighness are around 50% then I would say that they need to be a bit higher.
    ON my 37" the contrast is about 3/4 and the brighness just a little under that. I find these setting to be spot on(for my screen) these settings were adjusted in cinema mode and using DVE (digital video essentials)

Remember, the panasonic panals do seem to have a darker picture in genrall across the board, even thier CRT displays seem darker than every one elses :eek:

Also comparing a plasmas picture to a crt is never going to give you a good result. They are both totally different types of display and use totaly differnt technologys.

Once you have (or if you have allready,) adjusted like i said above and if it has made no differnce, then a PM to gordon at convergent or piers from the forums, may help in deciding wether you want a pro ISF calibration done.
    It may be possible to adjust service menu settings to give a brighter more balanced picture, and eliminate this problem. You could even show them this thread and your pictures for more of an expert opion on the matter.
    hope this has helped a bit.
    David.

17. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks David, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. I have found increasing contrast generally makes the problem worse. When I get home tonight I will try 75% on C and B in Cinema mode. Thanks again.

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279

ON the Viera, the contrast and brightness do seem to be interlinked some what. I found it very difficult to get a good alround balance because on mine(using DVE) I would reduce the brighness and contrast and the patterens would actually flicker.
    I am Fairly certain that with a bit more adjusting you should be able to get a good balance.

19. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279

So, any luck?

20. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So I connected the Sony, and bingo, contrast problem cured at a stroke. Then I noticed that scart output on the Sony was set to 'video' (composite) not RGB. I changed ourput on the Pioneer to 'video', and again contrast problem cured. So despite conventional thinking being RGB not composite, for me composite seems better!

Still thinking about this.

21. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Well, it could be there is a slight problem with RGB on some Vieras. I have noticed that when watching sky digital , that if i switch between rgb and composite , the colour noise patches and solorazation are significantly less than on RGB. I do not have the brightness problem though. I watch my dvds through componenet and dont experince any problems like this in this mode.
    I am sorry but i dont really know what else to recomend :confused: