1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unformatted RAM Disc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rogerdodge, Nov 17, 2003.

1. rogerdodge

rogerdodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I just got an E50 and a friend has given me some Panasonic RAM dics as he no longer owns his recoder. One of the disc's (which as obvoiusly been recoded on) won't read and it comes up saying it is unformatted. I have been into the menu to use format disc but it fails to format . Any clues would be very helpfull
    Thanks
    Roger

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Is it in a cartridge? If so check the write-protection tab is set to off. If it isn't (in a caddy) it's probably because their are finger print marks (etc) on the disk. Clean it very carefully and try again.

3. rogerdodge

rogerdodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the speedy reply Rusczak.
    It isn't in a caddy so I'll have a go a cleaning it and let you know how I get on.
    Thanks
    Roger

4. rogerdodge

rogerdodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've bought a dvd cleaner and given that a go but still no difference. Do you have any other sugestions.
    Cheers
    Roger

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Afraid not. Every instance I've encountered has been due to dirty disks/recorder needing a disk cleaner. You might want to give Panasonic a ring and see if they have any hints or tips that might be useful. I suppose the disks could have been damaged in some way? Are they definetly compatible RAM disks, i.e. they are 4.7GB or 9.4GB ones (and not the 2.8GB camcorder ones)?

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    The easiest way out for now, if the other discs are fine, is to replace the disc with a new one.

Could the disc have been formatted in a computer? Although, that shoudln't matter as it should just reformat in the E50.

I also think it maybe the wrong disc size. It has to be 4.7GB or 9.4GB.

7. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought all RAM discs were in caddy form only?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    No - most are non-caddied versions these days. IMHO caddied media is by far the best. All DVDR re-writeable media is extremely vunerable and putting it in a caddy ensures it will last much, much longer.

9. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    It depends where you shop (obviously) but places like Comet, PC World tend to only stock the non-caddied media. For the Panasonic brand you can identify these by the green stripe down the middle of the external packaging (caddied are blue). Non-caddied ones are somewhat cheaper than caddied ones. Have a look at the Panasonic E-shop for example (www.panasonic.co.uk).

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I should point out that a non-caddy DVD-RAM is still largely incompatible with other players. Infact, standfast some varieties of PC drive and the set-top recorders from Panasonic, most compatible hardware requires you to remove caddied media from the caddy before you can insert it into the machine in question.

With the exception of Type I DVD-RAM disks (which are getting reasonably hard to find now) all disks can be removed from their caddies. However if you intend to do this regularly your best using official non-caddy media as it has a layer of protection to help avert damage.