Unfair in my appraisal of EH60...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jim Pixel, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In the past I have done a lot of side by side comparisons between the Sony HX910 and the Panasonic EH60, saying that the HX910 has a more detailed but not quite so brilliant picture, while the EH60 has in its favour, an absolutely brilliant picture, a lot sharper than the HX910 and the contrast between colours is excellent...

I feel I have been a little unfair to the EH60 because lastnight I was comparing even more footage between the two machines. This time, live recording of the first round of Formula 1 GP race which I recorded on the HX910s HDD then burned to disc. I wanted to see how good the EH60 was at handling some of the HXs recordings on disc. As expected, the HX910 plays its own discs wonderfully, there is little doubt that the HXs picture IS good. Up until now I had been a little harsh on the EH60s ability to reproduce the same type of absolute quality the 910 is capable of. That was until lastnight...

I have the HX910 going into AV3 input on my JVC LT32 LCD TV,, and the EH60 into AV1. I did NOT realise that on this particular TV, you have to set each AV channel to its own viewing settings, completely independent of the others, until lastnight... I don't know what lead me to have a look at the settings but I noticed the some of the noise reducing settings and the Digital imaging settings were up on full on the EH60s channel but on low or turned 'off' with the HX910s channel... So, I changed them, and what a difference it made... The picture quality from the EH60 in the past looked precise but maybe too well defined, almost exaggerated, very crisp. Watching the cartoon "Sharks Tale", it really strutted its stuff with these settings, looking oh so good, but in sports and in Formula 1 it wasn't so hot, as it started to get a little pixelly and blocking into lumps of pixels which detracted from a good fast action picture. I have also said that the HX910 was better with action scenes because of this. Now it has changed the boundaries. The EH60s picture is almost on the same par as the HX910. Given that the HX910 is using component and the EH60 is using S-Video connectors, I would say that it is doing very darned well indeed...

I seem to be finding more and more to like about the EH60 as time goes by...

2. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, if you want to do a completely fair comparison you could try to run the EH60 from it's component output too...:rolleyes:

3. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Originally, I did just that, and yes its quality was pretty good alright, only back then, I hadn't actually set up the TVs AV channels at all and I began to notice a difference once I re-assigned each recorder to each AV channel... I just never thought that each channel had to be set up seperately...

I would say,,, easily each recorders output on component is as good as the other, only in different areas. I still maintain that the Sonys picture seems a bit better on image detail but is a little bit blurrier than the Panasonics, where one colour meats another. The Panasonics depth of colour and contrast is a bit better than the Sonys. Text also looks better from the Panasonic.

The two units are different in very subtle ways but they are definitely different. You soon notice it after using one for about a week then switching to the other... I think though, that if you ran them side by side 24 hours a day on identical screens, you may not tell the difference so much...